Cricket Current Affairs
India-Sri Lanka Test Series
- India overcame a gallant century by Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews to win the third and final Test by 117 runs on September 1, 2015 and end a 22-year wait for a series win on the Island. Cheteshwar Pujara was adjudged the ‘Man of the Match’ in third test match.
- The hosts, set a victory target of 386, were bowled out for 268 after tea on the fifth day at the Sinhalese Sports Club in Colombo to hand the tourists a 2-1 series scoreline.
- First test was won by Sri Lanka by 63 runs. India won second test by 278 runs. Ashwin earned ‘Man of the Series’ award.
Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy
- Mumbai has won the Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy on September 1, 2015 in the final match of All India invitation cricket tournament played at Chennai by defeating Tamil Nadu Cricket Association Districts (TNCA) XI team by six wickets.
- Buchi Babu Memorial Trophy has been named after Mothavarapu Buchi Babu Naidu (1868-1908) who is considered as Father of South Indian Cricket. It is an annual cricket tournament.
The Ashes 2015
- The 2015 Ashes was a series of Test cricket matches played between England and Australia for The Ashes. England cricket team won the series, 3-2 on August 23, 2015.
- End of the series also saw an end to the Test career of Australian skipper Michael Clarke. Steven Smith was named the new captain. Chris Rogers (Australia) and Joe Root (England) jointly shared the ‘Man of the Series’ award.
Tennis Current Affairs
Cincinnati Masters 2015
- Roger Federer (Switzerland) defeated Novak Djokovic (Serbia) and won his seventh Cincinnati Masters title on August 23, 2015 in the final match played at Ohio near Cincinnati (USA).
- Serena Williams (USA) won the Cincinnati Masters title in the women’s singles category by defeating Simona Halep (Romania).
Winners in Other Categories
|Men’s Doubles||Daniel Nestor (Canada)/ Edouard Roger-Vasselin (France)|
|Women’s Doubles||Chan Hao-ching/Chan Yung-jan (Chinese Taipai)|
Rogers Cup 2015
- Andy Murray (UK) defeated Novak Djokovic (Serbia) and won the Rogers Cup tennis tournament on August 16, 2015. With this, he posted his fourth tournament victory of the year.
- ” He won Rogers Cup for a third time after hoisting the trophy in 2009 and 2010. His three wins tie Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andre Agassi for second place all-time behind Ivan Lendl’s six victories.
Football Current Affairs
SAFF Under-16 Championship 2015
- Under”-16 men’s football team of Bangladesh clinched their first-ever title in the 3rd edition title of the six-nation South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) U-16 Championship title 2015 by defeating India in Sylhet, Bangladesh on August 18, 2015.
- The 2015 SAFF U-16 Championship was hosted by Bangladesh from August 9 to 18, 2015. Six teams from the region are taking part, divided into two groups. They are Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and the Maldives.
Hockey Current Affairs
Guru Tegh Bahadur Title
- Air India won the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hockey title by defeating defending champions Army XI with a score of 3-1 on August 27, 2015. They regained it after a gap of seven years as they won last time in 2008.
- Air India’s goalkeeper Adrian D’Souza got the player of the final award from the tournament’s organisers, Mumbai Hockey Association Limited. Army’s goalkeeper Najmudeen was declared as the best goalkeeper in the tournament.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
We hope you like Sports Current Affairs September 2015 (Part 1), give your feedback in comments.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.