Two Indian Coast Guard Ships Commissioned at Naval Dock
- Two Indian Coast Guard Ships named Apoorva and C-421 were commissioned at Naval Dock on September 21, 2015 by Vice-Admiral SPS Cheema, Flag Officer Commanding in Chief of Western Naval Command (Mumbai) off the naval dockyard in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- ICGS Apoorva, 14th in the series of 20, is a 50 m long Fast Patrol Vessel (FPV) that displaces 317 tonnes and can achieve a maximum speed of 33 knots. The ship ‘Apoorva’, synonyms with ‘unparalleled’, will be based at Goa under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No. 11.
- C-421 is a water jet propelled vessel, 27th in the series of IBs constructed by L & T Limited and can achieve a maximum speed of 45 knots. The interceptor boat (ICGS C-421) is based at Androth (L&M Islands), under the administrative and operational control of the Commander, Coast Guard District Headquarters No. 12.
Read Also – Smart Practice Current Affairs September 2015.
Sixth Indo-Maldives Joint Military Exercise Concluded
- The fortnight long sixth joint Military Training Exercise titled EKUVERIN 2015 between the Indian Army and the Maldives National Defence Force concluded on September 13, 2015.
- It was the first joint exercise involving an international contingent to be conducted at Thiruvananthapuram, which is being developed as a Training Node by the Indian Army.
- A total of 45 marines from the Maldivian National Defence Force took part in the exercise along with 45 soldiers of the Indian Army, held at the military station at Thiruvananthapuram since August 31, 2015.
- The bilateral exercise commenced in 2009 at Belgaum. Since then it is held annually, alternately in India and Maldives with the aim of enhancing military cooperation and interoperability between defence forces of the two countries.
India Approved Heron TP Drones Carrying Missiles from Israel
- The Union government approved the purchase of 10 armed drones from Israel on September 11, 2015. The $ 400-million proposal for buying armed Heron TP drones from Israel will increase the country’s cross-border military strike capability.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) will operate the drones. The armed drones are equipped with air-to-ground missiles that can carry a payload of 1000 kg. The project has been given pace and the said drones ma be put into service within a year.
- Meanwhile, Defence Research and Development Organisation is developing an indigenous drone programme i.e., Rustom 2. Armed flight trials are y to be carried out. IAF also has a fleet of Harpy UAV from Israel; they are primarily tasked with taking out enemy radar positions.
Naval Exercise ‘AUSINDEX 15’ Conclud
- India and Australia began their first bilateral naval exercise AUSINDEX-15 conducted-off the East coa of India.
- The week-long bilateral maritime exercise comprising Royal Australian Navy ships Sirius, a fleet tanker, Arunta, an Anzac class frigate and Collins class submarine reached Visakhapatnam o September 11, 2015.
- The Indian Navy would be represented by INS-Shivalik, a stealth frigate), INS-Ranvijay, a guided missile destroyer and INS-Shakti, a fleet tanker.
- In addition, one Royal Australian air force P3C ori surveillance aircraft and Indian Navy’s P8I maritii patrol aircraft will operate from Chennai during the exercise.
- This maritime exercise is a tangible sign that will strengthen defense cooperation between the two countries as envisaged in the Framework for Seen Cooperation announced by the Australian and In ‘ Prime Ministers in 2014.
Chinese and Pakistani Forces Launch Joint Air Drill
- Chinese and Pakistani forces launched a joint air drill called Shaheen (Eagle)-4 on September 6, 2015, part of a series of military exchange programmes between the two air forces.
- The Chinese contingent includes fighter jets, figh bombers and early warning planes while Pakistan has dispatched fighter jets and early warning pla for the military exercise. China’s air force was vr to expand the scope of cooperation with various countries.
- The first such drill was held in Pakistan in Marc] 2011, the second in China’s Western Xinjiang Uy region in September, 2013. The third was held in Pakistan’s Punjab province in May, 2014.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.