Bihar Signed MoU with Bangkok Firm for Disaster Risk Reduction
- The State government signed a Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) with Bangkok-based Asian Disaster Preparedness Centre (ADPC) to implement the Roadmap for Disaster Risk Reduction in Bihar (2015-30) on July 13, 2016.
- As per provisions of the MoU, the ADPC will provide technical assistance to the State government to implement the Roadmap for Disaster Risk Reduction in Bihar (2015-30).
- Despite such irregular rainfall, Bihar has been afflicted by floods due to discharge of water from rivers in Nepal, he said and recalled the Koshi tragedy of 2008 which caused large scale loss of lives and damage to properties.
See Also – State Current Affairs
Maharashtra Police Launched Four Apps to Strengthen Public Security System
- In order to strengthen public security system, Maharashtra police has launched four mobile apps for timely intervention into emergency situations on July 11, 2016.
- The four applications—Pratisaad-Ask, Police Mitra, Vahanchoritakrar and Railway helpline app were launched by Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in Nagpur.
- With the launch of these apps, dependency on police emergency number 100 would reduce substantially and citizens can reach out to police to report any emergency situation or crime like robbery or assault on women 24×7.
Second Unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant got Operational in Tamil Nadu
- The second unit of Kudankulam Nuclear Fewer Plant in Tamil Nadu gets operational Nuclear Power Corporation of India Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) SK Sharma said that 1000 MW plants attained criticality on July 10, 2016.
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board had given its consent to the Nuclear Power Corporation of India, a PSU under the Department of Atomic Energy which manages the plant, to begin the criticality process.
- Power generation will be stepped-up to full capacity of 1000 MW soon. The atomic reactor will provide electricity to Tamil Nadu, Puducherry, Kerala and Karnataka.
Kerala Government Imposed ‘Fat Tax’ to Slow Obesity Rates
- Kerala became the first State in the country to impose a ‘fat tax’ on junk food in a bid to counter rising obesity on July 8, 2016.
- The Kerala government Imposed a 14.5% tax on burgers, pizzas, doughnuts, sandwiches and pasta sold through branded restaurants is one that is expected to have a positive impact on public health.
- In October, 2011, Denmark became the first country to introduce a tax on saturated fat. Hungary taxes food high In fat and sugar. France, soft drinks, and Mexico, junk food and sugar-sweetened beverages,
- In the USA, 14 States and the district of Columbia have food taxes that affect sugar-sweetened drinks.
Punjab Government Launched Rapid Rural Police Response System
- Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbtt Singh Badal launched nation’s first Rapid Rural Police Response System across the State to ensure prompt and effective police response in villages to counter any crime or law and order situation on July 3, 2016.
- Under this response system, any residents from rural area would only have to make a call on police helpline 100 for any kind of assistance from the police force.
- The new system would he available for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to respond to all kinds of emergencies or call-for-help’ from the citizens of the State.
- 446 villages of the district have been divided into 25 beats and a computerized control room will be set-up at district level.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.