India Declared itself Free from Bird Flu
• India is free from Avian influenza (H5N1), popularly known as bird flu, from September 5, the department of animal husbandry, dairying and fisheries in the Ministry of Agriculture and farmers welfare declared on September 14, 2016.
• There was outbreak of bird flu on May 9 at Humnabad, Bidar in Karnataka. There has been no further outbreak, thereafter.
• It had stamped out the entire poultry population, destroyed eggs, feed, litter and other infected materials, restricted movement of poultry and poultry products to and from the area of outbreak, disinfected and cleaned up infected premises.
WHO gave India Yaws and Maternal & Neonatal Tetanus Free Status
• India officially received certificates from World Health Organisation (WHO), declaring the country yaws and maternal and neonatal tetanus free on September 6, 2016.
• India is the first country to be officially acknowledged as being yaws-free. India was validated for maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination in April, 2015, much ahead of the global target date of December, 2015.
• The elimination of tetanus as a public health problem means that in India, the annual rate of maternal and neonatal tetanus is now less than 1 per 1000 live births. It has been possible because of education and early treatment of vulnerable population.
DEFENCE & SECURITY
Indo-US Military Exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas’ Concluded
• The two-week-long Indo-US joint military exercise, conducted at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand, concluded on September 26, 2016.
• The exercise was 12 th in the Yudh Abhyas series, which started in the year 2004 under US Army Pacific partnership programme.
• Exercise Yudh Abhyas strengthens and broadens interoperability and cooperation between the Indian and US armies.
• It is the third Indo-US Army exercise and complements number of other exchanges and exercise between the forces.
IAF Launched MICA Missile
• The Indian Air Force fired long range air-to-air MICA missile on a manoeuvring target from Mirage-2000 Upgrade combat aircraft on September 23, 2016.
• MICA is an anti-air multi-target, all weather, fire-and-forget short and medium-range missile system.
• It is intended for use both by air platforms as* individual missiles as well as ground units and ships, which can be equipped with the rapid fire MICA Vertical Launch System. It is fitted with a Thrust Vector Control (TVC) system.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.