Indian Immunologicals Developed Vaccine to Fight Tapeworms in Pigs
- Indian Immunological Limited (IIL) unveiled a vaccine to fight against tapeworms in pigs. CYSVAX, the vaccine, is the worlds first such, the Hyderabad-headquartered wholly-owned subsidiary of the National Dairy Development Board said on October 21, 2016.
- The recombinant porcine (Pigs) Cysticercosis vaccine developed by IIL also has the potential to significantly reduce the incidence of epilepsy in humans.
- Cysticercosis is a parasitic disease caused by ingesting the eggs of the pork tapeworm, Taenia solium. It is a zoonotic parasite, involving pigs as intermediate hosts.
- Humans are usually infected by the ingestion of eggs present in the undercooked pork, vegetables and greens improperly washed. Cysts that develop in the central nervous system cause Neuro-Cysticercosis, one of the predominant reasons for epilepsy in humans.
- IIL collaborated with Dr. Marshall Lightowlers, University of Melbourne, Australia and GALVmed (Global Alliance for Veterinary medicine) to develop the vaccine.
See Also – UPSC Question Papers.
New Sensor could Detect Vitamin-B12 Deficiency
- The scientists have developed a new world-first optical sensor that could quickly detect vitamin-B12 deficiency, a condition linked to an increased risk of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- The device would enable the tracking of vitamin-B12 levels in high-risk patients and early intervention, to top up vitamin-B12 levels when low, and help overcome the limitations of current testing methods which are time-consuming and costly.
- Vitamin-B12 deficiency cause potential modifiable risk factor for dementia and Alzheimer’s. The sensor is still at proof-of-concept stage but, with development, has wide-reaching potential applications. This is the first time a rapid technique based on optical spectroscopy has been shown to be able to detect vitamin-B12 in human blood serum.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.