Sports Current Affairs- July Month 2015
Indian Premier League-8
- Mumbai Indians (MI) defeated Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the final played at Eden Gardens, Kolkata on May 24, 2015. With this, they won the eighth edition of Indian Premier League (IPL) 2015.
- This is the second IPL title triumph for Mumbai Indians after their maiden win in the 6th edition in 2013. Thus, Mumbai Indians became the third side after Chennai Super Kings and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) who won the IPL on more than one occasion.
Awardees at the IPL-8
- Player of the Tournament Andre Russell (KKR)
- Orange Cap David Warner (Sunrisers Hyderabad)
- Purple Cap Dwayne Bravo (CSK)
- Emerging Player of the Season Shreyas Iyer (Delhi Daredevils)
- Most Valuable Player Andre Russell (KKR)
Madrid Open 2015
- Mutua Madrid Open is a professional tennis tournament. It is played on outdoor clay courts at the Park Manzanares in Madrid, Spain. The 14th edition of this tournament ended on May 10, 2015.
- Andy Murray has become the third player, after Switzerland’s Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, to be proclaimed champion in both of the Mutua Madrid Open’s venues by defeating Rafael Nadal.
- Petra Kvitova has been crowned champion in women’s singles for the second time by defeating Svetlana Kuznetsova.
- Florin Mergea and Rohan Boppana were crowned champions in men’s doubles category by defeating the duo formed by Pole Marcin Matkowski and Serbian player Nenad Zimonjic.
- The Kazakhstani-Australian pairing of Yaroslava Shvedova and Casey Dellacqua came out champions oj women’s doubles title by defeating Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez.
Rome Masters 2015
- Novak Djokovic won the Internazionali BNL d’ltalia trophy for a fourth time on May 17, 2015. The World No.l clinched his fifth title of the season with victory over No.2-ranked Roger Federer in the final.
- Djokovic moved clear of Federer with his 24th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown, just three shy of all-time titles leader Rafael Nadal.
- 2015 Rome Masters was a tennis tournament played on outdoor clay courts at the Foro Italico in Rome, Italy. It took place from May 10-17, 2015.
- It was the 72nd edition of the Italian Open and was classified as an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event on the 2015 ATP World Tour and a Premier 5 event on the 2015 WTA Tour.
UEFA Europa League 2015
- The final of UEFA Europa League was played at the National Stadium in Warsaw, Poland, on May 27, 2015 between Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk and Sevilla, the title holders from Spanish side. Sevilla won the match with a score of 3-2 for a record fourth title.
- With this victory, Sevilla has got the right to play against the winners of the 2014-15 UEFA Champions League in the 2015 UEFA Super Cup. The 2015 Champions League finalists i.e., Juventus and Barcelona have already qualified for the group stage via their domestic leagues.
- The 2015 UEFA Europa League was the 44th season of Europe’s secondary club football tournament organised by UEFA, and the sixth season since it was renamed from the UEFA Cup to the UEFA Europa League.
Spanish League (La Liga) 2015
- Treble-chasing Barcelona won its 23rd title for the fifth time in seven years on May 17, 2015 after defeating defending champions Atle’ico Madrid at the Vicente Calderon Stadium in the 2014-15 La Liga season.
- The 2014-15 La Liga season was the 84th season of the premier association football league in Spain. The campaign began on August 23, 2014 and ended on May 24, 2015.
Last 10 Winners
- Barcelona (2014-15)
- Barcelona (2012-13)
- Barcelona (2010-11)
- Barcelona (2008-09)
- Real Madrid (2006-07)
- Atletico Madrid (2013-14)
- Real Madrid (2011-12)
- Barcelona (2009-10)
- Real Madrid (2007-08)
- Barcelona (2005-06)
Monaco Grand Prix 2015
- Nico Rosberg, the Mercedes driver from Germany, won his third consecutive Monaco Grand Prix on May 25, 2015. It is Rosberg’s tenth overall championship title and the second in the 2015 season.
- Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari team from Germany ranked second in the race while Lewis Hamiltion of Mercedes team from United Kingdom stood at the third position.
- With this victory, he became the fourth driver in the FI history to win three Monaco Grand Prix titles in consecutive. Others racers were Ayrton Senna, Graham Hill and Alain Prost.
Spanish Grand Prix 2015
- Nico Rosberg has beaten Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton for the first time on May 10,2015 and cut the Formula One world champion’s lead to 20 points with a commanding victory in the Spanish Grand Prix, 2015.
- With this victory, Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg took his first win of the season, his first in Spain and the ninth of his career. His team-mate Lewis Hamilton finished second, followed by Sebastian Vettel in third.
- The 2015 Spanish Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held on May 10, 2015 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Montmelo (Spain).
AIBA Women’s Dunior/Youth World Championships 2015
- The Youth finals of the AIBA Women’s Junior/Youth World Boxing Championships Taipei 2015 was held on May 23, 2015 at the Xinzhuang Stadium. Russia clinched four gold medals, Italy clinched two gold medals and Chinese Taipei claimed one silver and three bronze medals.
- Dominican Republic and Greece both secured their first ever medal in the history of the AIBA Women’s Junior/Youth World Boxing Championships.
- The Junior Finals of the AIBA Women’s Junior/Youth World Boxing Championships Taipei 2015 took place on May 23, 2015 where nations such as Russia, India and the USA dominated the gold medal list.
- Russia topped the Junior medal rankings with four golds in Taipei, while the USA and India both claimed three gold medals in this section of the championships.
- Mohun Bagan Athletic Club, the oldest club in India which had beaten an English team in the pre-independence era, lifted its maiden I-League title on May 31, 2015 by defeating Bengaluru FC. The 125-year-old club won an all-India crown after 13 long years.
- With this win, Mohun Bagan FC ended the season with 39 points at top, while Bengaluru FC finished second with 37.
- It is the fourth national title for Mohun Bagan FC after having won the last in 2002 when the I-League tournament was named the National Football League (NFL).
Asian Championships 2015
- Senior Asian Wrestling Championship 2015 was held in Doha (Qatar). Naveen from India defeated by Bashir Bajanzadeh of Iran in the 130 kg Greco-Roman category to lose out on a bronze medal on May 17, 2015.
- Lalita bagged a bronze medal, in the Women’s Freestyle 55 kg category.
- Vinesh settled for silver medal in Women’s Freestyle 48 kg division.
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav bagged a bronze in Men’s 74 kg category.
- Geeta Phogat won a bronze medal in the Women’s Freestyle 58 kg category.
- Asian Wrestling Championships is the Wrestling Asian Championship organised by the Asian Associated Wrestling Committee (AAWC). The championship has been held every year. The men’s tournament began in 1979 and the women’s tournament was first staged in 1996.
Australian Open Super Series 2015 International Championship
- Chen Long, world number one badminton player defeated Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen in the Australian Open Badminton Super Series final in Sydney on May 31, 2015.
- World number three Carolina Marin from Spain took the women’s singles title by defeating China’s sixth-ranked Wang Shixian.
- The Australian Open is the fifth event of the BWF World Superseries circuit and counts towards qualifying for next year’s Rio Olympics.
ISSF World Cup
- Gagan Narang, ace shooter of India won the bronze medal in the 50 m Rifle Prone Event of the ISSF World Cup on May 15, 2015 at Fort Benning in USA. With this win, he secured a quota place for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- Narang is third Indian shooter to make the Rio cut after Jitu Rai and Apurvi Chandela. Each country can win a maximum of 30 quota places from a total of 15 shooting disciplines (including shotgun events), two each from each discipline.
- Gurpreet Singh secured India a fifth quota place in shooting for the Rio Olympics by finishing fourth in the Men’s 10 m Air Pistol final at the ISSF Shooting World Cup in Munich on May 31, 2015.
- Winner Joao Costa of Portugal scored (201.4 points), Tomoyuki Matsuda of Japan ranked second by scoring (200.4), Sun Yang became third with a score of (177.3) secured a quota place for China, while another quota place went to fifth placed Daemyung Lee (136) of South Korea.
- He is the second Indian to have secured a Rio berth at the ongoing World Cup. Abhinav Bindra, India’s only individual Olympic gold-medallist, won a quota place with a sixth place finish in the Men’s 10m Air Rifle final.
- Abhinav Bindra became the fourth Indian shooter to win a quota place on May 28, 2015 for the Rio Olympics after he finished 6th in the Men’s 10 m Air Rifle final at the ISSF Shooting Wprld Cup in Munich. i
- Gagan Narang, Jitu Rai and Apurvi Chandela are the other Indians who have secured an Olympic quota earlier.
- Narang did so after finishing 3rd in the 50m Rifle Prone Event of the ISSF World Cup at Fort Benning in USA in earlier May, 2015.
- Chandela had secured the quota place by winning the bronze in the 10 m Rifle at World Cup at Korea in April, 2014.
- Pistol ace Jitu Rai had won India’s first Olympic quota place at the World Championships at Granada, Spain in 2014, where he won silver in the 50 m Free Pistol event.
- Star Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal, regained the number one spot in the latest BWF world rankings that released on May 21, 2015.
- She aecured spot for the first time early in April, 2015, but slipped from the coveted position subsequently.
- PV Sindhu lost a position to be on 12th place. In men’s singles, K. Srikanth has retained his fourth place. Even P. Kashyap and HS Parnnoy also maintained their 13th and 15th positions, respectively,
Ravi Shastri Continued as Indian Team Director for Bangladesh Tour
- Ravi Shastri, former captain of India, was retained on June 2, 2015 as Director of the Indian cricket team for the tour of Bangladesh starting June 10, 2015 as the BCCI continued its search for a new permanent coach to succeed Duncan Fletcher.
- Sanjay Bangar, assistant coach (Batting), B. Arun, assistant coach (Bowling) and R. Sridhar, assistant coach (Fielding), will assist him during the tour. Biswarup Dey will be the administrative manager. Rishikesh Upadhayaya has been appointed as Logistics Manager for the tour. Duncan Fletcher’s tenure had ended in earlier 2015 after the World Cup. Shastri represented India in 80 Tests and 150 ODIs for India and was part of the side, which lifted the 1983 World Cup.
- Shastri had travelled with the Indian team to Bangladesh earlier in 2007 as Cricket Manager after Greg Chappell resigned from the coach’s post.
Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman Inducted in BCCI’s Advisory Panel
- Former Indian Cricketers Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and WS Laxman were inducted into the BCCI’s newly-constituted Cricket Advisory Committee on June 1, 2015 to guide the Board and the national team on various ‘progressive steps’ needed for future challenges.
- Sachin Tendulkar had played 200 Tests and had scored 15921 runs. He also had played 463 One Day Internationals (ODIs) and had scored 18426 runs apart from a T20 International. He retired in 2013.
- Sourav Ganguly had played in 113 Tests and 311 ODIs for India apart from leading the country to the final of 2003 World Cup. WS Laxman had played in 134 Tests and 86 ODIs in his career.
So, this is the Sports Current Affairs of July 2015 Month. If you like this post then share it with others also. If you have any question then feel free to ask me via comment.