Appointed Person July 2015 Part-1
- Meena’Hemchandra has been appointed as the Executive Director of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on June 1, 2015. She would be in charge of department of banking supervision, non-banking supervision and department of cooperative banking supervision.
- She replaced Chandan Sinha, who will now be in charge of department of information technology, department of payment and settlement system, foreign exchange department and financial markets regulations, departments—including market intelligence.
- Meena Hemchandra is a chartered financial analyst from Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts of India. She also holds a post graduate degree in Economics.
- Ameenah Gurib-Fakim was designated as the Indian Ocean island nation Mauritius’ new President on June 1, 2015. With this, she became the first woman to hold the ceremonial position. She replaced Kailash Purryag who had served as President since July, 2012.
- She is an internationally renowned scientist and biologist. She had authored numerous academic and research papers. She was awarded with Laureate for the L’Oreal-UNESCO Women in Science Award for Africa (2007), African Union Award for ‘Women in Science’ for the East African Region (2009) etc.
- Mauritius is one of the richest and least corrupt countries in Africa, a middle-income country of some 1.3 million people with a per capita GDP of just over $ 9000.
- Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa was sworn-in as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh on June 1, 2015. He will take over his duties from Lt. Gen. Nirbhay Sharma, • who has been shifted to Mizoram.
- He was administered the oath of office as per provisions of Article-159 of Constitution by acting Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Justice K. Sreedhar Rao.
- He is a 1968-batch IAS officer and has served as the Chief Secretary of Asom before his superannuation from service.
- General Manager of Indian Bank, VA Prasanth, has been appointed as the new Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the bank on May 28, 2015 with immediate effect. He replaced K. Srinivasa Raghavan.
- Indian Bank is an Indian State-owned financial services company established in 1907 and headquartered in Chennai. It has 20000 employees, 2412 branches in India and is one of the big public sector banks of India.
- Veena Jain has been appointed as Director General (News) in Doordarshan on May 29, 2015 by the Information and Broadcasting (I&B) Ministry. She will handle the new media wing and social media cell. She will report to the ministry for all purposes.
- She is an additional secretary rank official. She will continue to report to Prasar Bharati CEO in her role as DG news. She has been appointed in place of Akshay Rout in an unusual move.
Pradeep Kumar Sinha
- Pradeep Kumar Sinha was appointed as the next Cabinet Secretary of the Union government on May 25, 2015. He will formally take over the new charge on June 13, 2015. Earlier, he has been asked to take over as an Officer on Special Duty (OSD) in Cabinet Secretariat.
- Sinha is a 1977-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre. He has earlier served as the Shipping Secretary and has also held several other important positions in the Union government and in his cadre state Uttar Pradesh. He has been serving as Power Secretary since July, 2013.
- The outgoing Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth is a 1974-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre. He had taken over as Cabinet Secretary on June 14, 2011 with a two-year fixed tenure up to June 13, 2013
- S. Chandra Das who served as Singapore’s Ambassador to the Republic of Turkey, resident in Singapore, from 2006 to 2015 has been appointed as the non-Resident High Commissioner of Singapore to Sri Lanka.
- He is an Indian-origin businessman currently the Managing Director of NUR Investment & Trading private limited of Singapore as well as a director of a number of other companies. He was a Member of Parliament from 1980 to 1996.
- He had also previously served as Singapore’s Trade Representative from 1970 to 1972 in the USSR, the former Soviet Union. Chua Thai Keong also announced as the Singapore’s High Commissioner to the Republic of South Africa.