First National Handloom Day to be Celebrated on August 7,2015
- The Central government has decided on July 31, 2015 to declare August 7 as National Handloom Day every year beginning from 2015, throughout the country. The first National Handloom Day will be launched by the Hon’ble Prime Minister from Chennai.
- On this occasion, the Sant Kabir Awards and National Awards for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014 will be awarded and a new ‘India Handloom’ brand for better marke positioning of quality handloom products would be launched.
- Over 43 lakh persons arc engaged in handloom weaving and allied aawides in India as per the last handloom census. This industry is a source of livelihood to large section of rural population particularly women and BPL families, in addition to this being a part of the rich cultural heritage and traditions of our country.
Revised Scheme for Development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs has revised the Central Sector Scheme known as ‘Development of Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTGs)’, w.e.f. April 1, 2015 Under the revised Scheme, priority is accorded for their protection and improvement in terms : f the social indicators like livelihood, health, nutrition and education, so as to decrease their vulnerability.
- Under the scheme the Ministry will provide 100% financial assistance through State governments for activities including housing, land distribution and land development, agricultural development, animal husbandry, construction of link roads, installation of non-conventional sources of energy.
- The financial assistance for the comprehensive socio-economic development of PVTGs, based on Conservation-cum-Development (CCD) Plan prepared by the concerned State governments on the basis of assessment of their requirements.
DIPP Accepted ADB, JICA Plans on Industrial Corridors
- Commerce & Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman informed the Rajya Sabha on July 22, 2015 that the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) has accepted Asian Development Bank’s conceptual development plan report on Vizag Chennai Industrial Corridor (VCIC).
- The master plan report on the Chennai-Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (CBIC) has also been accepted. It is being developed in partnership with the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
- The report has identified three industrial nodes i.e., Krishnapatnam in Andhra Pradesh, Tumkur in Karnataka and Ponneri in Tamil Nadu. The strategy to develop CBIC is part of the plan to achieve accelerated development and regional industry agglomeration in the States of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
‘Deendayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana’ Launched
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the ‘Deendayal Upadhyay Gram Jyoti Yojana’ on July 25, 2015 at Patna, Bihar for power sector reforms in rural areas with a view to ensuring round the clock electricity supply to farmers and rural households.
- The scheme is one of the flagship programmes of the Power Ministry and will facilitate 24 x 7 supply of electricity. The earlier scheme for rural electrification, Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) has been subsumed in the new scheme as its rural electrification component.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Daniawan-Bihar Sharif new railway line, flagged-off the Rajgir-Bihar Sharif-Daniawan-Fatuha passenger train and Patna-Mumbai AC Smidha Express and dedicated to the nation the permanent IIT Campus at Patna (Bihar).
We hope you like National Current Affairs August 2015 Part 1 2015, give your feedback in comments.