General English Questions for Government Exam Preparation
With 20 MCQs, you can give final touch to the practice of ‘General English’ for upcoming competitive examinations.
Directions (Q. NOS. 1-5) In the following questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of sentence has an error and mark the appropriate letter (a), (b), (c). If. a sentence is free from error, mark (d) as the answer. [SSC CGL (Pre.) 2015]
- Bobby learnt the (a)/alphabets at the (b)/ age of two. (c) No error (d)
- The sum and substance (a)/ of this poem (b)/ is as follows. (c) No error (d)
- I watched how (a)/ the pianoist (b)/ used her left hand, (c) No error (d)
- The ruins of the spillway are a vital clue (a)I to the epic struggle that unfold as generations of Khmer engineers (b)/ coped with a water system that grew complex and unruly, (c) No error (d)
- You are required to give an explanation (a)I for your conduct (b)/ within two days of the receipt this letter, (c) No error (d)
Directions (Q. Nos. 6-8) In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.
Prohibit b. Shorten c. Reduce d. Worsen
Reservation b. Representation c. Renunciation d. Referendum
Plain b. Economical c. Simple d. Miserly
Directions (Q- NOS. 9-13) In these questions, four alternatives are given for the idiom/phrase underlined in the sentence. Choose the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the Idiom/Phrase.
- I hope you will back me at the meeting,
a. follow b. criticize c. support d. speak after I do
- I and my friend always go Dutch when we eat out:
a. pay for each other’s meal
b. go together
c. divide the costs
d. drive together
- A closefisted man does not know the significance of human life.
a. a poor man
b. an ill-mannered man
d. a rich man
- He’s as daft as a brush. Don’t believe a word of what he says.
a. a liar
b. really silly
c. very funny
- I shall always remember my alma mater with gratitude.
a. teacher who inspired me
b. mother’s loving care
c. kindergarten days
d. institution where I got education
Directions (Q- Nos. 14-15) In the following questions, four words are given, out of which only one word is correctly spelt. Find the correctly spelt word.
- a. Aneurysm b. Annonymous c. Carcas d. Disipate
- a. Coherant b. Advicable c. Tommorow d. Commendation
Directions (Q. Nos. 16-20) The following questions have two blanks, each blank indicating that something has been omitted. Choose the set of words for each blank that best fits the meaning of the sentence as a whole. [SBIPO 2015]
- Three unknown assailants ……… on motorcycles and opened ……… barely a few metres from where the actor was shooting
a. came; shooting
b. rode; rounds
c. arrived; fire
d. approached; hitting
e. climbed; shots
- The police ……….. in ………. a car theft case within a matter of two hours of registration of the complaint.
a. achieved; solving
b. victorious; catching
c. famed; arresting
d. succeeded; cracking
e. failed; assigning
- The health ministry has approved major expansion of post-graduate seats in key departments of AIIMS to ……… the severe ………. of specialists across the country.
a. address; dearth
b. correct; loss
c. improve; damage
d. rectify; limits
e. good; shortage
- With the ………. wedding season, people are leaving no stone unturned to make their wedding cards look …………..
a. prolonged; beyond
b. ongoing; special
c. instant; great
d. sudden; while
- The tourism data ……… that Indians are ………. the biggest spenders while on holidays.
a. says; within
b. reveal; amongst
c. proclaims; between
d. states; surrounded
e. speaks; amid
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.