- Andy Murray defeated Belgium’s David Goffin in reverse singles match of the final of Davis Cup 2015 played at Ghent (Belgium). Thus, Great Britain have won the Davis Cup for the first time since 1936.
- Britain have now won the team title 10 times, while Murray adds the Davis Cup to his other major titles at Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympic Games.
- Davis Cup, established in 1900, is the premier international team event in men’s tennis organised by the International Tennis Federation (ITF). It is a tennis .challenge between Great Britain and the USA.
ATP World Tour Finals 2015
- The Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic won the ATT World Tour Finals on November 23, 2015, for the fifth time in his Career by beating Roger Federer. With this victory, he became the first player in the yeaf-ending tournament’s 46-year history to triumph four times in a row.
- He won three of the year’s four grand slams, beating the evergreen Federer in the Wimbledon and US Open finals and Stanislas Wawrinka in the French Open final.
- Not only that but he won a record six Masters Series crowns and reached 15 consecutive finals after losing to Ivo Karlovic in the Doha quarter-finals.
Fed Cup 2015
- The Czech Republic successfully defended their Fed Cup title after a marathon, nail-biting final match in Prague on November 15, 2015. It was for the first time since 2011, when the Czechs defeated Russia in Moscow, the final had gone down to the last match.
- Maria Sharapova put Russia 2-1 up with a win over Petra Kvitova in the opening encounter but Karolina Pliskova ensured’ the final would be decided by the doubles after a victory over Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
- Pavlyuchenkova and Elena Vesnina won the first j set to put Russia in the driving seat but Pliskova and Barbora Stiycova fought back for the hosts to win for a’ fourth Czech win in five years.
WTA Finals 2015
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis lifted their ninth trophy of the season by winning JJNP Paribas WTA Finals in womens doubles category at Singapore on November 1, 2015 with a victory against eighth seed Spanish team of Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro.
- Sania and Hingis secured 2015’s WTA Year-End world number I one Ranking. Sania had also won this tournament in 2014 with Zimbabwean Cara Black. Meanwhile, in singles category, Agnieszka Radwanska (Poland) defeated Petra Kvitova (Crech Republic) to win the title.
Swiss Indoors 2015
- Roger Federer (Switzerland) has won 2015 Swiss Indoors Basel Title of Tennis in men’s single category on November 1, 2015 that played at Basel by defeating his old foe Rafael Nadal of Spain
- With this victory, Federer ended his three-and-a-half year gap against Nadal. It was the 17-time Grand Slam winner’s sixth title of the season, seventh Basel trophy and overall 88th title of his career at the tour-level.
- The match was the first between Federer and’ Nadal since the Spaniard won their Australian Open semi-final in straight sets in January, 2014. Earlier, Britain’s Jamie Murray and Australian partner John Peers were defeated in the men’s doubles final, losing to Alexander Peya of Austria and Brazil’s Bruno Soares.
FIFA JJ-17 World Cup 2015
- Nigeria defeated Mali with a 2-0 victory in the final of the 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup on November 8, 2015 at the Sausalito Stadium, Chile. With the victory, Nigeria obtained its fifth crown in the U-17 category.
- Earlier, Nigeria won this cup at China (1985), Japan (1993), Korea Republic (2007) and UAE (2013). In addition, they finished as runners-up at Canada 1987, Trinidad and Tobago 2001 and Nigeria 2009.
- The FIFA U-17 World Cup, founded as the FIFA U-16 World Championship, later changed to the FIFA U-17 World Championship and known by its current name since 2007, is the world championship of association football for male players under the age of 17 organised by Federation International de Football Association (FIFA).
Junior Men’s Asia Cup 2015
- Junior Indian hockey team kept their unbeaten run intact in the Junior Men’s Asia Cup hockey tournament on November 22, 2015 by registering an emphatic 6-2 victory over arch-rival Pakistan in the final.
- India ended up as runners-up in the 5th Sultan of Johor Cup which made it an even bigger win. Harmanpreet found himself at the scoreboard again with a fourth strike of the match in the 53rd minute and became the highest scorer of the tournament with 15 goals.
32nd Indian Oil Surjit Tournament
- Indian Railways has won 32nd edition of Indian Oil Surjit Hockey tournament on November 7, 2015 for the first time in the final match played at Olympian Surjit Hockey Stadium in Jalandhar, Punjab by defeating defending champions Indian Oil Mumbai with a score of 4-3.
- This victory- gave the winning team Rs 5 lakh cash award and the winners trophy. The runners-up got Rs 2.50 lakh cash and also runners-up trophy. Malak Singh of Indian Railways was declared as ‘player of the tournament’ and was given a cash prize of Rs 25000.
- Surjit Memorial Hockey Tournament is an annual hockey tournament organised by Surjit Hockey Society in Jalandhar, Punjab in the memory of Surjit Singh Randhawa, an Indian field hockey player, who had represented India national field hockey team at the 1976 Montreal Olympics.
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2015
- German Formula 1 driver Nico Rosberg won for the Mercedes team the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Yas Island on November 29, 2015 marking his third successive victory of the season. His success also marked Mercedes’ 12th one-two finish of the season, representing a new Formula-1 record.
- Rosberg is with 317 total points, second of this year’s FI World Championships.
- Winner of the 66th season is his teammate Hamilton (384 points) who clinched the victory already on October 25 in the US Grand Prix.
Brazilian Grand Prix 2015
- Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg secured second place in the Formula One drivers’ championship by winning the Brazilian Grand Prix on November 14, 2015 held at Autodromo Jose Carlos Pace in Socorro district of Sao Paulo.
- It was Rosberg’s second victory in as many years at the Interlagos circuit and gave him in unassailable buffer in second place with one race remaining and overall 13 th championship title of FI in his career and the 5th win in the 2015 season after Spain, Monaco, Australian and Mexican Grand Prix.
Mexican Grand Prix 2015
- Nico Rosberg, the Mercedes driver hailed from Germany, has won the 2015 Mexican Grand Prix title offormula One (FI) on November 2, 2015, that held at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City.
- It is Rosberg’s’ overall twelfth championship title of Fl in his career and the fourth win in the 2015 season after Spain, Monaco and Australian Grand Prix.
- Lewis Hamilton, the Intercedes driver hailed from Britain came in second position.
13th Asian Championship
- India’s Heena Sidhu made a grand return to form by winning the gold medal in the 10m air pistol women’s event at the 13th Asian Shooting Championship at Kuwait on November 6, 2015. She shot an excellent 198.2 in the finals to edge out Mongolian Gundegma Otreyad.
- In the 10 m air pistol junior women’s event, Nivetha too won a gold with a score of 195.8 in the finals. She edged out Shinemurun Nyamdorj of Mongolia (195.4) and Heesun Kim of Korea (174.4), who won the silver and bronze medals, respectively.
- Shreya Gawande, Nivetha and Oshin Tawani also combined to win the team gold with a combined total of 1114. Besides, the Indian trio of Nayani Bharadwaj, Harshada Nithave and Malaika Goel also won the gold in the team event of the 10 m air pistol youth women’s event. ‘
- Earlier, ace shooter Jitu Rai won India’s first senior medal at the 13th Asian Shooting Championship on November 4, 2015. He finished second behind Korea’s Park Daehun in the fitials of the men’s 50 m pistol at kuwait.
Macau Open 2015
- PV Sindhu won the women’s singles title at the $ 120000 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold by defeating Japan’s Minatsu Mitani on November 29, 2015 for the record third time.
- Overall, this was PV Sindhu’s fifth title in her career and first title of the 2015 season.
- Her other four individual titles are Indonesia International (2011), Malaysia Masters (2013) and I Macau Open for consecutive two times in 2pi3 and 2014.
World Junior Championships
- Young Indian shuttler Siril Verma clinched a silver medal , at the BWF World Junior Championships on November 16, 2015 after suffering a narrow defeat i.e:, loss against Chinese Taipei’s Chia Hung Lu in the final match played at the Peruvian capital of Lima.
- With this medal, Siril now joined Saina, Sindhu, Gurusaidutt, Prannoy and Sameer Verma, who have won medals for India in the Junior World Championships. He trains at the Pullela Gopichand Academy and in the age of 15.
China Open Super Series 2015
- World No.2 Saina Nehwal went down by losing the women’s singles summit clash of the $ 700000 China Open Superseries Premier to reigning Olympic champion Li Xuerui in straight games at the Haixia Olympic Sports Center, Fuzhou, China on November 15, 2015.
- She finished at second position in the Women’s Singles category and has won a silver medal. This was Saina’s fifth final of 2015 and second final to loose. She won twice at the India Grand Prix Gold and India Open Superseries but has lost every summit clash since then.
World Snooker Championships
- India’s most successful cueist Pankaj Advani, world number 1 in 6-red snooker and World Team Billiards won the IBSF World Snooker Championship on November 20, 2015 after defeating Chinese opponent Zhua Xintong in the final to take his world title count to 15.
- Advani won this match with a score 8-6 in the best-of-15 final at Sunrise Crystal Bay resort in Hurghada. Earlier, he clinched the IBSF Billiards crown in September, 2015. He is also the first person in history to take the short (6-Red) and the long snooker format in the same calender year.
Webb Ellis Cup 2015
- New Zealand has won the 2015 Rugby World Cup on October 31, 2015 for record third time by defeating Australia in the fined match played at Twickenham, England with a 34-17 score. With this victory, it also became the first nation to retain the Webb Ellis Cup and it was their first victory.
- Rugby World Cup, first held in 1987 is contested in every j four years. For the first time it was co-hosted by New Zealand and Australia. The winning team is awarded with J the William Webb Ellis Cup named after William Webb Ellis who invented sport of rugby.
- There are four countries who won the trophy since its inception. New Zealand has won it three times in 1987, 2011 and 2015, Australia won twice i.e., in 1991 and 1999 and South Africa in 1995 and 2007 and England has won it once in 2003.
- Spin great Anil Kumble stepped down as the Chief mentor of Mumbai Indians (MI) on November 30, 2015 with immediate effect. His decision follows a BCCI crackdown on conflict of interest in the board.
- Kumble, who has been associated with the Indian Premier League franchise since January, 2013.
- In his. first year as the Mentor, Mumbai Indians won the IPL and the Champions League in 2013. Mumbai Indians won the IPL once again in 2015.
- Apart from England’s Jim Laker, Kumble is one bowler in history of cricket who had taken all 10 wickets in an innings. He is also India’s highest wicket taker in both Test matches (619 wickets) and one day Internationals (ODIs) (337 wickets).
- The West Indian spinner Sunil Narine, the world’s top-ranked bowler in both forms of limited-overs cricket, has been suspended from bowling in internationals after his action was ruled to be illegal. The suspension would take place with immediate effect.
- As per the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) statement on November 29, 2015, an independent assessment found his bowling action was illegal because his elbow extended beyond the maximum limit of 15°.
- His action was reported to the ICC in November, 2015 during the ODI series against Sri Lanka. Narine is currently rated as the number one bowler in the ICC’s rankings for 50-over One-Day Internationals and Twenty20s.
- Ace off-spiriner Ravichandran Ashwin scripted history by becoming the fastest Indian bowler to reach 150-Test wicket landmark on November 6, 2015 in his 29th Test against South Africa on second day of the opening Test at the PCA Stadium in Mohali.
- Out of his 150, Ashwin has taken 100 wickets on home soil followed by 21 wickets in Australia and Sri Lanka. He has also picked up five wickets in Bangladesh and j three in England. He has played one wicketless Test in 1 South Africa too.
- Ashwin shared the feat with South African’s Hugh Tayfield and Dale Steyn, England’s Ian Botham and Pakistan’s Saeed Ajmal. Sydney Barnes was the fastest 1 to pick 150 wickets as he achieved the feat in his 24th matc
Visit current-affairs.org for current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.