- She became the first Indian woman gymnast to qualify for Rio Olympics on April 18, 2016. She is the 22-year-old gymnast from Tripura. She defeated 2008 Olympic silver medalist Oksana Chusovitina of Uzbekistan.
- Since the independence of the country, 11 Indian male gymnast have taken part in the Olympics (two in 1952, three in 1956 and six in 1964) but this will be the first for- an Indian woman at the Olympics.
- Earlier, she won a bronze at the Asian Gymnastics Championships and finished fifth at the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships both a first for India.
- Manipuri boxer MC Mary Kom on April 14, 2016 named as one of the brand ambassadors of the World Championships by the International Boxing Association (AIBA).
- This year Kazakhstan capital of Astana host more than 300 of the world’s top female boxers for another thrilling edition of the AIBA Women’s World Championships.
- Mary Kom who missed out on an Olympic seat in last month’s is aiming to secure her second successive. Olympic appearance through the world event which is scheduled from May 19 to 27, 2016.
Seven Indian Shuttlers Qualified for Rio Olympics
- Seven Indian Badminton players qualified for the Rio Olympics on May 3, 2016. The list includes two female singles players in Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu, a male singles’ player in Kidambi Srikanth, women’s doubles pairing of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa while Mahu Attri and Sumeeth Reddy make up the male doubles team.
- It is the biggest badminton contingent that India would be fielding at the Olympic Games. Earlier, the biggest contingent from India was of 5 players who played in 2012 London Olympics.
ICC Suspended the Cricket I Association of Nepal
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) suspended the Cricket Association of Nepal (CAN) due to government intervention in the cricket board on April 28, 2016.
- The cricket administrating body suspended the membership of CAN for breach of Article-2.9 of the ICC’s Articles of Association. The ICC code of the Article-2.9 I prohibits government interference and requires free and fair elections. ICA has it’s headquarter in United Arab Emirates and its President is Zaheer Abbas.
India will Host 2018 Commonwealth 3udo Championships
- India will be hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Judo Championships in Jaipur. The Commonwealth Judo Championships was given to India, by the Commonwealth Judo Congress held on April 23, 2016 at Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- This will be the first time that Commonwealth Judo Championships will be held in India. Man Mohan Jaisw is the General Secretary of Judo Federation of India (JFI).
- India will also host 10th Asian Cadet Judo Championships 17th Asian Juniors Judo Championships from September to 12 at the Rajiv Gandhi Indoor Stadium, Kadvantha Kerala.
ICC and Emirates Airline Renewed Deal for Additional Seven Years
- Dubai headed International Cricket Council (ICC) extended its contract with Emirates Airline for another seven years on April 21, 2016, which perceives the Dubai-based Emirates to become a global partner for all events between 2016 and 2023.
- Earlier, Emirates became the ICC’s official partner for the 2007-2015 events cycle and the sponsor of the ICC’s elite panel of umpires and match referees. This new deal is an extension and expansion of that partnership.
- The Fly Emirates logo is displayed on the umpires’ clothing when they are officiating at all international cricket events.
Union Government Renamed ‘Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan’ as ‘Khelo India
- The government has merged Rajiv Gandhi Khel Abhiyan (RGKA), with the Khclo India programme for development of sports on April 20, 2016.
- The RGKA was launched by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government In February, 2014 to replace Panchayat Yuva Kridn aur Khel Abhiyan (PYKKA).
- Two other sport projects launched by the previous regime, that is, Urban Sports Infrastructure Scheme and National Sports Talent Search Scheme, also merged under Khelo India.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.