‘Chakravyuh-II’ Training Exercise Conducted in Rajasthan
- Indian Army conducted a military training exercise ‘Chakravyuh-II’ to validate battle readiness and operational effectiveness of the Pivot Formation and Rapid Division, in Suratgarh (Rajasthan) on May 9, 2016.
- The exercise envisages the new generation weapons, platforms and systems are employed in areas where rapid development and urbanisation along the border is predominant.
Indian Coast Guard Ship ‘Shaurya’Launched
- Goa Shipyard Limited launched Indian Coast Guard ship ‘Shaurya’ on May 5, 2016. It is the fifth of a series of six offshore patrol vessels that the Coast Guard had tasked the Vasco defence public sector undertaking to build.
- It is having a speed of 23 knots and a range of 6000 nautical miles. It will be fitted with state-of-the-art machinery like the integrated machinery control system and integrated bridge system.
- The indigenously designed ship is capable of search and rescue operations, pollution control and external firefighting and will be deployed for ocean surveillance and for monitoring sea lanes of communication.
US Navy Tested Largest Unmanned Ship
- The world’s largest unmanned surface vessel, a 132-foot Robot ship able to travel up to 10000 nautical miles on its own to hunt for stealthy submarines and underwater mines tested on May 5, 2016.
- The military’s research arm, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), in conjunction with the Navy tested the ship. Unlike smaller, remote-controlled craft launched from ships, the ‘Sea f Hunter’ is built to operate on its own.
- Sea Hunter relies on radar, sonar, cameras and a global positioning system. The prototype can travel at a speed of up to about 30 mph and is equipped with a variety of sensors and an advanced optical system to detect other ships.
Health & Nutrition Current Affairs