Union Government Relaxed FDI Norms
- India eased Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) rules for several sectors, including defence, aviation and retail, clearing the way for businesses on June 20, 2016.
- Under the new norms, 74% FDI would be allowed in pharma sector under the automatic route, which means that foreign investors will not need government’s approval to invest up to 74% in existing domestic companies.
- The government also allowed 100% FDI in scheduled airlines, where 49% FDI was allowed under automatic route. However, existing rule that prevents foreign airlines from owning more than 49% in scheduled airlines stays.
- In the defence sector, foreign companies can own 100% equity, according to the latest rules. Present FDI regime permits 49% FDI participation in the equity of a company under automatic route. FDI above 49% is permitted through government approval on case to Case basis.
NRIs can now Open Account for Joining NPS
- The Finance Ministry on Jtine 18, 2016 announced that Non Resident Indians (NRIs) can now open National Pension Savings (NPS) accounts online if they have Aadhaar Card or PAN card.
- Till now, NRIs could open NPS accounts only through paper applications by approaching bank offices. Through eNPS, a subscriber will be able to open an NPS account from the comfort of his home. For repatriable schemes, an NRI will have to remit the amount through his/her NRE/FCNR/NRO account.
- For non-repatriablc scheme, NR Is will be able to join NPS through their NRE/FCNR/NRO accounts at the time of maturity or during partial withdrawal, the NPS funds would be deposited only in their NRO accounts.
HRajasva Gyan Sangam’ Held
- The Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, addressed tax administrators at the Rajasva Gyan Sangam on June 16, 2016.
- This is the first time that the two revenue boards—the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), and the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC), held a simultaneous conference.
- The Prime Minister outlined a five-point charter for tax administrators—RAPID : R for Revenue, A for Accountability, P for Probity, I for Information and D for Digitisation.
- He urged the officers to turn the Gyan Sangam into a Karma Sangam, so that the ideas generated from this conference lead to concrete action on the ground.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.