Racers Grand Prix 2016
- Usain Bolt won the 100 m in 9.88 sec at the Racers Grand Prix in Kingston (Jamiaca) on June 11, 2016.
- He is the first man to hold both the 100 m and 2001 I world records. Along with his teammates, he also set I the world record in the 4x 100 m relay.
- He is the first man at the modem Olympic Games to win six gold medals in sprinting, and an eleven-time World champion. He was the first to achieve the ‘double double’ of winning 100 m and 200 m titles at i consecutive Olympics (2008 and 2012).
- He also won the IAAF World Athlete of the Year, Trad 6- Field Athlete of the Year and Laureus World Sportsman of the Year three times.
Josef Odlozil Memorial Meet
- Tintu Luka won a silver medal in 800 m race in the Josef Odlozil Memorial Athletics Meet in Prague (Czech Republic) on June 8, 2016.
- She holds the national record of 1:59.17 which she did way back in 2010. She qualified for Rio Olympics during the World Championships in Beijing last year.
FINA World League 2016
- The USA defeated Spain by 13-9 in International Swimming Federation (FINA) women’s water polo world league on June 13, 2016 which was held in Shanghai (China).
- Since the tournament began in 2004, the US women made it to the gold-medal match all but two times, in 2005 when they did not medal at all, and in 2013, when they won bronze.
- The Americans have now won 10 of the 13 editions and medaled in the last 11 (they won silver in 2008). Spain picks up its first Super Final medal,’ topping its best prior showing of fourth in 2009.
- Dutee Chand became the first Indian sprinter to qualify for the Olympics by setting a national record in the 100 m with a timing of 11.30 sec on June 25, 2016.
- Dutee Chand is an Indian professional sprinter and current national champion in the women’s 100 m event.
- She is currently being supported by the Anglian Medal Hunt Company, a foundation that supports Indian athletes. She is the second Indian women to ever qualify for the women’s 100 m event at the Summer Olympic Games.
- Anil Kumble appointed as head coach of Indian cricket team after serving Indian cricket for 18 long years as a player on June 23, 2016.
- A right-arm leg spin bowler, he took 619 wickets in Test cricket and remains the third-highest wicket taker—only behind Muttiah Muralitharan and Shane Warne.
- Kumble was awarded the Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian honour in 2005. After having played for 18 years, he announced his retirement from international crickerin November, 2008.
- In October, 2012, Kumble was appointed the Chairman of International Cricket Council (ICC)’s cricket committee.
- Barcelona FC star Lionel Messi has announced retirement from.Argentinean Football team. However, he will continue to play his club football for FC Barcelona. He made this announcement after Argentina was defeated by Chile in the 2016 Copa America final. He had missed the penalty in the final match.
- He is Argentina’s all-time top scorer, with 55 goals from 113 match appearances. He plays at the forward position for Argentinean team and for the Spanish FC Barcelona. He is the only footballer to win five FIFA Ballon d’Or, four of which he had won consecutively. He also the first football player to win three European Golden Shoes.
- Ashutosh Pednekar of Indian Navy became the first Indian to participate and won international tournaments in the sport of racketlon on June 17, 2016.
- The sport is modeled on lines Of Decathlon or Triathlon and is combination sport comprising of four racket games namely Table tennis, Badminton, Squash and Lawn tennis.
- The typical match comprises 4 sets of 21 points each in each of the above individual sports played in succession one after another. Winner is the player winning maximum points.
- Though becoming increasingly popular internationally ‘Racketlon’ is still a relatively young sport in India & hence it’s not surprising that it’s quite unknown in India.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.