- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) elected Peter Thomson, Permanent Representative of Fiji, as President of its upcoming 71st session on June 15, 2016.
- The selection of the President of the General Assembly follows a geographical rotation system, with respective regional groups putting foiward a consensus candidate every year. If a group cannot reach consensus on a nominee, a vote by secret ballot will lake place.
- He is the first representative from a small developing island State in the Asia-Pacific region. He will replace current General Assembly President Mogens Lykketoft.
- Senior IAS officer Supriya Sahu on June 16, 2016 was appointed as Doordarshan’s Director General, a post lying vacant for nearly two years.
- She earlier Worked as Director and Joint Secretary in Information and Broadcasting Ministry, nodal authority for the national broadcaster Doordarshan.
- A 1991-batch IAS officer, She is currently working in her cadre State Tamil Nadu.
- Anne Hathaway appointed by the United Nations as a Globed Goodwill Ambassador to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women on June 16, 2016.
- The Oscar-winning actress is taking on some of the most challenging issues moms endure, including unpaid leaves, wage gaps and a lack of access to affordable childcare.
- She also lent her voice to the 2013 CNN documentary Girl Rising about the power of female education.
Sunil Bharti Mittal
- The Chief Executive of Bharti Group, Sunil Bharti Mittal elected Chairman of the International Chambers of Cpmmerce (ICC) in Sao Paolo (Brazil) on June 15, 2016.
- He is the third Indian business leader to hold this position in ICC’s near 100 years history. He took over from Terry McGraw, Chairman Emeritus of S&P Global.
- He served on the Prime Minister of India’s Council on Trade & Industry. He is also a member of the India-USA, India-UK and India-Japan CEO Forums.
- He is Co-Chair of the India-Africa Business Council and India – Sri Lanka CEO Forum. He was the President of the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), the premier industry body in India in 2007-08.