73rd Senior National Championship 2016
- Dipika Pallikal Karthik dethroned defending champion Joshna Chinappa to won the women’s title in the 73rd Senior National Squash Championship in Mumbai on July 17, 2016.
- The men’s crown was captured by Saurav Ghosal, who created history by winning it for the 11th time, defeating fourth seed Harinderpal Singh Sandhu.
- The Squash Rackets Federation of India (SRFI) is the Indian governmental apex body for the game of squash. It conducts the National Squash Championship, and promotes the game through the different State-level squash bodies, and provides training facilities and selects the squad for the Indian team.
FIDE Women’s Grand Prix 2016
- In the final round of the FIDE Women’s Grand Prix in Chengdu (China), Koneru Humpy defeated Antoaneta Stefanova to catch up with her compatriot Harika Dronavalli on the shared first place with 7/11 points each on July 14, 2016.
- She won the Commonwealth Women’s Championship three times in 2006, 2007 and 2010. She has won three World Youth Chess Championship ‘titles : in 2004, she won the Girls Under-14 in Heraklion, Greece, and in 2006, she won the Girls Under-18 in Batumi (Georgia).
- In 2008, she took the Girl’s title at the World Junior Chess Championship at Gaziantep, Turkey, winning with a point to spare. She was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2007.
- She was the leading female df the Gibraltar Chess Festival’s 2008 tournament. She won bronze medal in 2010 Asian Games in woman’s individual rapid event.
Pro Kabaddi League 2016
- Patna Pirates beat Jaipur Pink Panthers in the final of season-4 in the Pro Kabaddi League on July 31, 2016.
- Patna Pitrates, who were the champions of season 3, had made history as they became the only team to lift the trophy twice in the tournament’s history of four editions.
- Puneri Paltan got third place in Pro-Kabbadi Season-4.
- It was the season of many firsts as for the first time women’s teams locked horns in the women’s Pro Kabaddi League. ‘Storm Queens’ won the final of women Kabbadi challenge after defeating ‘Fire Birds’ team.
Junior World Cup 2016
- Indian shooter Manavaditya Rathore won the trap bronze medal at the Junior World Cup in Porpetto (Italy) bn July 24, 2016.
- While, Anant Naruka bagged a bronze medal in skeet.
- Champion of Champions’ battle is where the medallists of the three Junior World Cups of the year compete against each other.
WBO Asia Pacific Title 2016
- Vijender Singh clinched his seventh straight win the WBO Asia Pacific title by outlasting former WBC European champion Kerry Hope in a 10-round contest on July 15, 2016.
- He won medals in different competitions at the national level, Vijender was picked to train and compete at several international level competitions such as the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics and the 2006 Commonwealth Games.
- At the 2006 Asian Games in Doha, he won the bronze medal after losing the semifinal bout against Kazakhstan’s Bakhtiyar Artayev.
- At the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics, he defeated Carlos Gongora of Ecuador 9-4 in the quarterfinals which guarantee him a bronze medal-—the first ever Olympic medal for an Indian boxer.
- He was given a number of awards, including the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award—India’s highest sporting honour and Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honour.
View Also – Science and Technology Current Affairs
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.