- Bengaluru para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan has won eight , medals, including three golds, at the recently- concluded International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports (IWAS) U-23 World Games in Prague, Czech Republic on July 5, 2016.
- He won gold medals in 200 m freestyle, 50 m butterfly and 50 m breaststroke, silver in 100 m fly and 50 m freestyle, as also bronze in 100 m freestyle, 100 m breaststroke and 100 m backstroke events.
- Earlier, in the 2015 edition of the IWAS Games, Niranjan had created a record for highest number of individual medals, ranking in 10 medals in all the events that he participated in.
Four-member Panel Formed to Interact with Lodha Committee
- In an attempt to resolve the complexities arising out of the Supreme Court verdict, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) appointed a four-member panel on August 1, 2016, which will interact with the Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha Committee.
- This panel will be a single point interface for the BCCI to interact with the Justice Lodha Committee as well as advice and guide the BCCI.
- The decision to appoint a panel, which will be . headed by retired Justice Markandey Katju, was taken by the BCCI working committee during its meeting.
Read Also – International Current Affairs
India will Host Kabaddi World Cup in October
- India will host 12 teams in the Kabaddi World Cup scheduled to take place in October, the 1 International Kabaddi Federation (IKJ7) announced on July 31, 2016.
- The USA, Canada, the UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya, apart from hosts India, would take part in the competition.
- In 1990, Kabaddi found a global audience as part of the Asian Games and India has since ranked top in that competition, according to the International Kabaddi Federation.
‘Run for Rio’ Held ahead of Olympics
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged-off ‘Run for Rio’ from the Dhyanchand Stadium in Delhi on July 30, 2016. The purpose of the run was to let the athletes know that the country was proud of them.
- The 5 km run, from Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, had thousands of school children and youth participating in what was meant to express the nation’s support to the Indian athletes at Rio.
- Asserting that the 119 Indian athletes who have qualified for the Olympics have done so after, a lot of trials.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.