• The United World Wrestling (UWW) cleared Narsingh’s path to the Rio 2016 Olympics on August 3, 2016. As he still awaited the nod from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA).
• The WADA could appeal against a decision of Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel or Appeals Panel of any of its member countries to the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) within 21 days.
• If WADA appeals against the decision of the disciplinary panel at the ad hoc division of the CAS, specifically constituted to render decisions quickly during the Olympics, Narsingh may have to wait some more days to know his fate regarding his participation in the Rio Games.
• Inderjcct Singh’s chances of making it to Rio, his ‘B’ sample athlete also been found positive. This lessen his chances to go to Rio and represent India.
• Harlicr, the ‘A’ sample had returned positive for steroids androsteronc and etiocholanolone but Inderjeel had claimed tampering of his sample.
• He is a Asian Games bronze medallist and multiple time national champion.
• Kendra Harrison, who already held the American record for the 100 m hurdles, made it a personal goal to break the 28-year-old world record of 12.21 seconds on July 22, 2016.
• She is an American hurdler. She represented the USA at the 2015 World Championships in Athletics and the 2016 IAAF World Indoor Championships.
• In 2015, she won NCAA championship titles both indoors and outdoors. She was runner-up in the 100 m hurdles at the 2015 USA Outdoor Championships at the 2016 Olympic Trials she placed sixth and missed qualifying for the Olympics.
• India’s test captain Virat Kohli scored his first double century as he guided India towards a big first innings score against the hosts West Indies on July 21, 2016.
• The latest record for the Indian skipper sees him go past Mohammad Azharuddin with the highest score by an Indian captain away from home. Azhar had previously scored 192 against New Zealand in Auckland in 1989-90 season.
• Kohli also made his Test debut in the Caribbean, in 2012 in Jamaica.
• Bengaluru para swimmer Niranjan Mukundan has won eight . medals, including three golds, at the recently- concluded International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports (IWAS) U-23 World Games in Prague, Czech Republic on July 5, 2016.
• He won gold medals in 200 m freestyle, 50 m butterfly and 50 m breaststroke, silver in 100 m fly and 50 m freestyle, as also bronze in 100 m freestyle, 100 m breast stroke and 100 m backstroke events.
• Earlier, in the 2015 edition of the IWAS Games, Niranjan had created a record for highest number of individual medals, ranking in 10 medals in all the events that he participated in.
Four-member Panel Formed to Interact with Lodha Corn mitten
• In an attempt to resolve the complexities arising out of the Supreme Court verdict, the Board Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) appointed a four-member panel on August 1, 2016, which will interact with the Supreme Court appointed Justice RM Lodha Committee.
• This panel will be a single point interface BCCI to interact with the Justice Lodha Committee as well as advice and guide the BCCI.
• The decision to appoint a panel, which will be headed by retired Justice Markandey Katju was taken by the BCCI working committee during its meeting.
India will Host Kabaddi World Cup in October
• India will host 12 teams in the Kabaddi World’ Cup scheduled to take place in October, the International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) announced on July 31, 2016.
• The USA, Canada, the UK, Australia, Iran, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Korea, Japan and Kenya, apart from hosts India, would take part in the competition.
In 1990, Kabaddi found a global aud’teoceasfM part of the Asian Games and India has since ranked top in that competition, according to the International Kabaddi Federation.
‘Run for Rio’ Held ahead of Olympics
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged-off for Rio’ from the Dhyanchand Stadium hi Delhi on July 30, 2016. The purpose of the run was to let the athletes know that the country was proud of them.
• The 5 km run, from Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium to the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, had thousands of school children and youth participating in what was meant to express the nation’s support to the Indian athletes at Rio.
• Asserting that the 119 Indian athletes who have qualified for the Olympics have done so after a lot of trials.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.