Defence & Security Current Affairs September 2016
Strategic Forces Command Exempted RTI Ambit
• The crucial Strategic Forces Command (SFC), which looks after the nudes arsenal of the country, kept out of the ambit of the Right to Information Act on July 29, 2016.
• The SFC has been included in the list of 26 intelligence and security agent which are exempted from providing information under the transparency said a senior official in the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), acts as a nodal authority for implementation of the RTI law.
• The Command has the sole responsibility of initiating the process of dgliyt nuclear weapons and warheads after acquiring explicit approval from the NCA.
India Signed $ 1 Billion Deal with Boeing to buy P-81 Aircraft for Navy
• India and the USA signed a deal worth over § 1 billion for the purchase of four additional Poseidon-81 long-range maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft on July 27, 2016. The P-81 is a long-range anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft capable of broad area, maritime and littoral operations.
• It is equipped with the sophisticated Harpoon missiles, lightweight torpedoes and rockets, the Indian Navy has been using the P-81 to keep watch over the Indian Ocean, which has seen forays by Chinese submarines including the docking of a Chinese nuclear submarine in Sri Lanka.
DRDO Successfully Tested New Advanced Towed Artillery Artillery Gun System
• India’s Defense Research and Development Organisation successfully conducted proof firing tests of a new towed gun currently being developed for the Indian Army on July 14, 2016.
• With this successfully test-firing of the gun, the so-called Advanced Towed AT AGS achieved a ‘technological breakthrough’.
• The ATAGS is being developed to supplement the indigenously designed and manufactured 155 mm, 45 caliber artillery gun, Dhanush, an improved version of the FH-77B 155 mm/39 caliber towed howitzer manufactured by the Swedish defense contractor Bofors (now BAE Systems) and of which India acquired 414 between 1987 and 1991
• The new gun will allegedly be capable of firing five rounds in short duration with a maximum range of 40 km, depending on the ammunition type»The gun will be lighter than most other guns in the same category, which will assure ‘high mobility’ and ‘quick deployability’.
Read Also – Daily Current Affairs
INS-Karna Commissioned by Navy Chief
• The Navy’s dedicated base for its Special Operation Forces (MARCOS) INS-Karna on July 13, 2016. The establishment of the first base for Indian Navy’s elite force with capability to operate in all three dimensions of warfare (air, land and sea) in the homeport of the Navy on the Eastern Seaboard marks another milestone was commissioned by the Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba in Indian Navy.
• The MARCOS East unit has progressed in terms of manpower infrastructure, quipment holding and other resources. The complement of the unit has risen from an initial strength of two officers and 40 saliors to 25 officers. The MARCOS Base has been named after the supreme archer and warrior from Indian Epic Mahabharata, Kama.
Union Government Established Cyber Cell to Check Online Abuses on Women
• The Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) set-up a cyber cell as part of a pilot project to conduct in-depth research pertaining to online harassment of women and girls on July 9, 2016.
• There will be no patrolling on the internet. The unit will only respond to complaints made by affected women through email. The only time we will respond is when we receive complaints about abusive behaviour, harassment, hateful conduct.
• The Ministry has broadly defined three different categories of complaints on which it will take action and this will include abusive behaviour, harassment and hateful conduct.
• The Ministry will also create a separate e-mail id by tomorrow for complaints about online abuse.