Indira Awaas Yojana Renamed as PMAY
• Union government’s rural housing scheme Indira Awaas Yojana (LAY) restructured and renamed as Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana (PMAY), on September 22, 2016.
• Under the new scheme, the government is aiming to construct one crore houses by the year 2019.
• IAY was launched by Rajiv Gandhi in 1985, it is a centrally sponsored scheme funded on a cost sharing basis between the Centre and States in the 60 : 40 ratio, except in case of North-Eastern States and Union Territories (UTs).
• For North-Eastern States, the Central government funds 90% of the cost and 100% for the UTs.
Incredible India Tourism Investment Summit 2016
• Incredible India Tourism Investors Summit (IITIS), 2016 started on September 21, 2016.
• It is a platform for the investors across the globe r to explore investment opportunities available within the ambit of India’s tourism sector as well as core infrastructure.
• The three-day summit is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism, government of India, in association with Tourism Finance Corporation of India (TFCI) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
• Micro of Small and Micro Enterprises (MSME) in tourism sector, panel discussions on core infrastructure for tourism, session on startups, digital India, investing into Swadesh Darshan, PRASAD.
North-East Connectivity Summit Held
• North-East Connectivity Summit is a cross sectoral initiative of FICCI with the objective of highlighting the connectivity gaps and proposing a comprehensive connectivity agenda apart from encouraging private sector investment in connectivity infrastructure concluded in Agartala on September 23, 2016.
• The summit has help bring into focus the opportunities in developing connectivity of North-East and its associated strategic and economic advantages for the entire India.
• The summit has provided unique platform for strategic dialogue between various stakeholders including government of India, BBIN and South Asian countries. Private sector and others.
• The summit has helped gain intellectual input from various expert agencies on the theme of connectivity aided development with North-East at the centre stage.
New Import Policy for Marble, Travertine Blocks Notified
• In an effort to balance the interests of domestic consumers, producers and processors, and ease the system for import of marble & travertine blocks, the government has notified a new policy with effect from October 1, 2016.
• Under the new policy, the Department of Commerce has notified the end of quantitative restriction on imports of marble & travertine blocks, as well as the associated restrictive import licensing system.
• The Minimum Import Price (MIP) for import of marble blocks has been reduced to $ 200/tonne to address the distortions. The interest of domestic producers, basic customs duty on import of marble & travertine blocks will go up four times from the present 10% to 40% from October 1, 2016.
• The MIP on marble slabs is also being reduced to $40/sq m and basic customs duty is being doubled from 10% to 20%.
Cleanliness Drive ‘Swachhta Saptah’ Launched
• The Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu launched the ‘Swachhta Saptah’ as part of the Swachh Rail Swachh Bharat Mission from New j Delhi Railway Station on September 16, 2016.
• As a pilot project, Sulabh started cleaning and maintenance of five . important railway stations namely Gorakhpur, Old Delhi, Jaipur, Ahamadabad and Gwalior.
• Cleanliness programme has certain defined thrusts like Swachh Stations (Clean Stations), Swachh Rail Gaadi(Clean Train), Swachh Neer(Clean Water), Swachh Parisar(Clean Complex), Swachh Sahyog j (Cleanliness Participation), Swachh Samvad (Cleanliness Dialogue), Swachh Samarpan (Dedication for ensuring Cleanliness), Swachh Aahar (Clean Food).
Toll Free Number Launched for Postal Complaints
• The Union government launched toll free number 1924 to register postal complaints, for redressal of telecom and postal grievances on September 12, 2016.
• The service will be operational initially for 12 hours on working days between 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. The DoP will set-up a nodal officer in all postal circles who will handle public complaints.
• The service has been started initially in three languages – Hindi, English, Malayalam and gradually we will start services in all scheduled languages.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.