State Current Affairs November 2016
Arunachal Chief Minister Inaugurated All-women Mt Gorichen Expedition
• Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu flagged-off an all-women Mt Gorichen expedition on October 2, 2016.
• This will be the first all women team attempting to summit the second highest peak of the State, which is considered as a technical peak and only seasoned climbers can make it to the top (6488 m).
• Anshu Jansempa, who climbed Mt Everest twice, will lead the team of ten members from states like Jammu and Kashmir (Ladakh), Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh,Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh with four support staff.
Tamil Nadu Topped List of Endemic Flowering Plants
• Almost one of every four species of flowering plants found in India is endemic to the country, a recent publication by the Botanical Survey
• of India (BSI) has revealed. Of these, Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number of species with 410, followed by Kerala with 357 and Maharashtra with 278 on October 2, 2016.
• Of the 18259 flowering plants reported in the country, 4303 (over 23%) are found only in India, as per scientific data in a recently released book, Endemic Vascular Plants of India.
• When it comes to the geographical distribution of endemic plants, the Western Ghats tops the list with about 2116 species, followed by the Eastern Himalayas with 466 species. According to scientists, these two regions are among the biodiversity hot spots of the country.
• The scientists of the BSI have listed at least 37 species of Black plum Syzyguim (Jamun), 10 varieties of Musa (banana), along with 274 species of orchids, which are found only in the country. Four different varieties of roses, two herbs and two climbers and 12 species of jasmines are exclusively found in India.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Srinagar
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched in Srinagar for the State of Jammu & Kashmir by Chief Minister of J&K, Ms. Mehbooba Mufti along with I Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan on September 29, 2016.
• It provides clean cooking fuel to the women belonging to the Below Poverty Line (BPL) households across the country.
• Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) aims to provide LPG connections to 5 crore BPL households by 2019 and is a part of larger programme of adding 10 crore new LPG connections by 2019 to achieve full coverage of connections in Indian households.
• The PMUY scheme provides assistance of Rs 1600 to the woman beneficiary, comprising security deposit of Domestic cylinder & pressure regulator; Suraksha hose; Domestic gas consumer card and installation charges.
Punjab Government Included Few Castes in Backward Classes List
• On the recommendations of the State Backward Classes Commission, the Punjab Cabinet on September 26, 2016 approved the inclusion of Gosai/Goswami, Yadav/Aahir and Rabari Communities in the list of Backward Classes of the State.
• Important decision, keeping in view the inconvenience fated by general public of Ahmedgarh area, the Cabinet also decided to upgrade sub-tehsil Ahmedgarh to sub-division/tehsil at Ahmedgarh.
• Keeping in view the inconvenience faced by general public of Ajitwal and Samaalsararea, the Cabinet also decided to accord status of sub-tehsil to Ajitwal and Samaalsar in Moga district besides giving nod for creation of office staff at both the places.