Rajasthan became First State to Adopt LED Street Lights under All Urban Local Bodies
• Rajasthan became the first State to adopt centre’s j Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) in all its urban local bodies (ULB).
• Almost 5 lakh conventional street lights have been replaced with LED street lights across the State.
• The project has been funded by Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), a Public Energy Services Company under the administration of Ministry of j Power, government of India (Gol).
• 3.5 crore conventional street lights will be replaced with smart and energy efficient LED street lights by March, 2019.
Tamil Nadu Government Allotted Rs 204 crore for ‘Thaaliku Thangam’ Scheme
• Tamil Nadu government has allotted Rs 204 crore towards the implementation of enhanced gold scheme under a marriage assistance programme oh September 22, 2016.
• The scheme involves providing marriage assistance and gold for daughters of poor parents and widows among others to make ‘thaali’.
• Assistance of Rs 25000 for beneficiaries who have passed Class X and Rs 50000 to those with an undergraduate degree, or diploma is also given as part of the scheme.
High Court Quashed Ordinance for 10% Quota for Upper Caste Poor
• The Gujarat High Court quashed the notification of granting 10% quota for economically backward classes among the upper castes in educational institutions and jobs on September 23, 2016.
• In April, the BJP government in Gujarat had announced the EBC quota among upper castes to appease the protesting Patidar community, which was seeking an Other Backward Classes (OBC) status.
• The government had declared the 10% quota for the economically weaker sections among higher castes with an annual income of Rs 6 lakh.
• This followed the 10-month agitation by the Patidar community demanding reservations in jobs under the OBC category.
• The petitioners, including social activists, students and parents, have challenged the ordinance, claiming that it was contrary to the precedents established by the Supreme Court long back on the issue of quota for other backward classes on the recommendation of the Mandal Commission in 1990.
Himachal Pradesh won Better Performing Project Award 2015
• Himachal Pradesh won the 2015-Better Performing Project Award for development of infrastructure in the State, on September 22, 2016. The award was given for development of infrastructure in the State by tourism department under the Asian Development bank Funded Project.
• The award was based on the overall performance in contract award, disbursement, execution, monitoring and quality maintenance.
World’s Largest Solar Plant Unveiled in Tamil Nadu
• The Adani Group opened the world’s largest single location solar power plant in Tamil Nadu, which will produce 648 MW of electricity on September 21, 2016.
• It will built the plant at Kamuthi in Ramanathapuram district at a cost of around Rs 4550 crore. The plant has been connected to a 400 KV substation of Tamil Nadu Transmission Corporation.
• It is part of the State government’s ambitious target of generating 3000 MW as per the solar energy policy unveiled by the .government in 2012.
Ministry of Tourism Approved Projects for Jammu & Kashmir
• The CSMC for the ‘Swadesh Darshan Scheme’ approved projects to the tune of Rs 500 crore as part of Development Package of Prime , Minister Reconstruction Han (PMRP) for integrated development ; of tourism in Jammu and Kashmir on September 15, 2016.
• The projects envisage tourist infrastructural development in Jammu and Kashmir. Highlights of the project involve developing’ a Convention Centre in Gulmarg and Patnitop, development of Ethnic Villages, Development of Water Sports Centre at Baghliyai Dam – Pool Doda.
• Other major intervention proposed in the circuits include last mile connectivity, tourist facilitation/interpretation centre, base camps for trekking, facilitation centre for pilgrims for Amamath Yatra, Sound and Light Show at Shalimar Bag, illumination of heritage structures, provision of eco friendly vehicles. Enhancement of tourist facilities at golf courses across the State.