ATHLETICS Current Affairs
Asian Beach Games 2016
- India bagged their first gold medal at the 5th Asian Beach Games held in Danang, Vietnam on September 27, 2016 with the women’s beach kabaddi team winning the title for the record fifth time in succession.
- Indian beat Thailand 41-31 in a hard-fought summit clash at Bien Dong Park. The Indian women’s kabaddi team had been winning the gold since the inception of the biennial Games in 2008.
- In women’s 70 kg category kurash (a form of wrestling originated in Uzbekistan), Amisha Tokas won a silver after losing to Nguyen Thi Lan of Vietnam in the final. In beach bodybuilding, Manoj Kumar Majumdar won a bronze in upto 158 cm category.
- India has so far won six medals (1 gold, 3 silver, 2 bronze) in the Games. India are now at 15th spot j in the medal table headed by hosts Vietnam (25 gold, 22 silver, 27 bronze).
- The Asian Beach Games, also known as ABG, is a multi-sport event held every four years among athletes from all over Asia. The games have been organised by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).
- Former Cricketer Sunil Gavaskar named as the ‘Stroke Ambassador for India’ on October 27, 2016.
- The announcementwas made at the inaugural function of 10th World Stroke Congress last night by Indian Stroke Association which is hosting the event along with World Stroke Organisation, a World Health Organisation-affiliated NGO dedicated to the global fight against stroke.
- World Stroke Day is observed every year on October 29. WSC, organised once in two years, is being held in India for the first time.