India & World Current Affairs- July 2015 Month for Bank SSC Railway UPSC Jobs Preparation
India and Sweden Inked Six Agreements
- India and Sweden has inked six agreements on June, 1, 2015 during President Pranab Mukherjee’s five-day visit to Sweden and Belarus. It is the first-ever visit by an Indian head of State.
- An MoU is inked on Cooperation in Sustainable Urban Development.
- Another MoU is signed for cooperation in the field of micro, small and medium enterprises.
- Another MoU is signed on Visa Exemption for diplomatic passports.
- A Letter of Intent (Lol) was also signed between India’s Earth System Science Organisation (ESSO) and the Swedish Polar Research Secretariat (SPRS) on collaboration in polar and ocean research.
- A Memorandum of Intent (Mol) is inked between the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) and the Swedish Research Council for Health Working Life and Welfare (FORTE) for recording the intention of both institutions’to cooperate in the field of ageing research and health.
- Another Mol was signed between India’s Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) and the Swedish Medical Products Agency (MPA).
India Topped World Hunger List with 194 million People
- As per the annual report by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations released on May 28, 2015, India is home to 194.6 million undernourished people i.e., the highest in the world. However, there has been a significant reduction in the proportion of undernourished people in India i.e., by 36% since 1990-92.
- The report suggests that this is a result of growth which is not being inclusive. Rural people make up a high percentage of the hungry and malnourished in developing countries, and efforts to promote growth in agriculture and the rural sector can be an important component of a strategy for promoting inclusive growth.
- Around the world, 795 million people or around one in nine are undernourished. Asia and the Pacific account for almost 62% of this section. Yet, the trends are positive, with a decrease in the prevalence of people with undernourishment from 18.6% in 1990-92 to 10.9% in 2014-16 worldwide.
India & Vietnam Signed a Joint Vision Statement on Defence Cooperation
- India and Vietnam signed a Joint Vision Statement on defence cooperation for 2015-2020 on May 25, 2015 in order to boost the bilateral ties.
- The Vietnamese Defence Minister was on a 3-day official visit to India at the invitation of Manohar Parrikar, the Defence Minister of India.
- A Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on cooperation between the coast guards of the two countries was also signed. Both sides reiterated their commitment to further enhancing the ongoing defence engagements between the two sides for mutual benefit.
- At the delegation level talks in New Delhi, the two countries discussed wide range issues concerning defence cooperation and cooperation in the area of maritime security.
North Korea Successfully Test-fired Underwater Ballistic Missile
North Korea successfully test-fired a submarine-based ballistic missile, a world-level strategic weapon. The country announced the test on May 9, 2015 i.e., a day after the Korean People’s Army (KPA) warned that it was prepared to fire on sight, without warning, at South Korean naval vessels it accused of violating their disputed Yellow Sea border.
- This technology would offer the nuclear-armed state a survivable second-strike nuclear capability. Development of this submarine-launched missile capability would take the North Korean nuclear threat to a new level, allowing deployment far beyond the Korean peninsula.
- The weapon had been developed on the personal initiative of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un. But Now-a-days North Korea is under United Nations sanctions and this test-firing violated UN resolutions prohibiting Pyongyang from conducting ballistic missile tests.
Joint Statement for India-Mongolia Strategic Partnership
- In the backdrop of the 60th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Mongolia and India, Narendra Modi, visited to Mongolia from May-16 to 18, 2015 which is the first ever visit by an Indian Prime Minister marking the dawn of a new era in Mongolia-India relations.
- The two countries pledged to further consolidate India- Mongolia comprehensive partnership, and agreed to elevate the level of the comprehensive partnership to a Strategic Partnership that is conducive to the common cause of the international community for peace and prosperity.
- During this visit, India and Mongolia signed 13 agreements to further strengthen bilateral ties in different sectors. They are-
- Air services agreement between the government of the Republic of India and the government of Mongolia.
- Treaty between the government of the Republic of India and the government of Mongolia on the transfer of sentenced persons.
- Agreement between the government of the Republic of India government of Mongolia on cooperation in the field of animal health and dairy.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the government of the Republic of India and the government of Mongolia on cooperation in the field of traditional systems of medicine and homeopathy.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the government of Republic of India and the government of Mongolia and on establishment of cyber security training centre in the Ministry of Defence of Mongolia.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the government of Republic of India and the government of Mongolia on establishment of India-Mongolia joint friendship school in Mongolia.
- Programme on cooperation between the government of the Republic of India and the government of Mongolia in the field of culture for the years 2015-2018.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) for cooperation between the National Security Council of the Republic of India and the National Security Council of Mongolia.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on cooperation between the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Energy of Mongolia.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Republic of India and the Ministry of Justice of Mongolia for enhancing cooperation in border guarding, policing and surveillance.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the Tata Memorial Centre of India and the National Cancer Centre of Mongolia for gifting of Bhabhatron-ll tele-therapy unit along with a radiotherapy simulator.
- Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) between the Foreign Service Institute of the Ministry of External Affairs of the Republic of India and the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mongolia.
First Environmental Democracy Index Launched
- .India has ranked 24th in the first Environmental Democracy Index that evaluates nations’ progress in enacting laws to promote transparency, accountability and citizen engagement in environmental decision making.
- The list was launched by Washington-based World Resources Institute (WRI) and Access Initiative on May 20, 2015. The index evaluates environmental democracy in 70 countries, including 75 legal and 24 practice indicators, based on recognised international standards.
- According to the report, 93% of the assessed countries have established the right to environmental information. Lithuania, Latvia, Russia, the USA, South Africa, the UK, Hungary, Bulgaria, Panama and Colombia are the top 10 nations in the index.
India’s Economic Growth to Surpass China’s in 2015-16
- According to the mid-year update of the United Nations (UN) World Economic Situation and Prospects (WESP) released on May 20, 2015 India’s economic growth is projected to grow by 7.6% this year and 7.7% in 2016, overtaking China.
- The report has forecasted South Asian region’s GDP will grow by 6.7% in 2015 and 6.9% in 2016. The main reasons for growth in this region will be because of stronger domestic consumption and investment, and increase in exports.
- It also projected that the global-GDP will accelerate slightly from 2.6% in 2014 to 2.8% in 2015. While, the global consumer price inflation will be at an average of 2.5%, the lowest level since 2009.
India Assumed Presidency at World Health Assembly
- Union Health Minister JP Nadda assumed the Presidency at the 68th World Health Assembly (WHA) on May 18, 2015 that commenced at the UN European headquarters in Geneva. India assumed the Presidency after a gap of 19 years.
- The 68th WHA session began on May 18, 2015 and it will conclude on May 27, 2015. India announced there that it would contribute $ 2.1 million to the World Health Organisation (WHO) as a ‘reflection’ of its commitment to the global health body and its mandate.
- This edition of assembly is expected to.deliberate on key issues of global interest which includes Anti-microbial resistance, Air pollution and health. Global health emergency, preparedness and surveillance, Global strategy and plan of action on public health, Innovation and intellectual property, Research and development in neglected tropical diseases,
Korea Signed Seven Pacts
- India and South Korea signed seven bilateral agreements and agreed to upgrade ties to ‘special strategic partnership’ on May 18, 2015 during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s last leg of three nation tour viz. China, Mongolia and South Korea.
- The India-South Korea Double Taxation Avoidance Convention signed in 1985 has been revised with a view to avoiding the burden of double taxation on taxpayers in the two countries.
- An agreement is signed under the provisions of India-South Korea Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) which would enable co-production’of films, animation and broadcasting programmes.
- Another Moll is signed for cooperation between the National Security Council Secretariat of Indii and the Office of National Security of South Korea which would formalise consultations between National Security Councils of the two countries in a number of areas.
- Another Moll is signed between the Ministry of Power and the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy of South Korea on cooperation in the field of electric power development and new energy industries.
- The two nations also signed an MoU to strengthen and encourage cooperation on youth matters through participation in events and activities through exchanges, international conferences, seminars, youth camps, festivals etc.
- The two sides also signed Framework of Cooperation (FoC) in the Field of Road Transport and Highways.
- The MoU on cooperation between the two countries in the fields of maritime transport and logistics including through sharing of technologies, information and experiences, the training of seafarers, exchange of experts and port operations etc was also signed.
India and Russia Signed 11 Agreements for Higher Academic Cooperation
- Top Russian and Indian institutions signed 11 Memoranda of Understandings (MoUs) for higher academic cooperation in the field of scientific research and training in presence of President Pranab Mukherjee, who was on a five-day visit to Russia on May 8, 2015.
- The agreement aimed at developing bilateral cooperation which will ensure cooperation, coordination and competition for conducting basic and exploratory scientific research carried out by international scientific teams.
- The MoU envisaged providing support to joint scientific projects during 2015-17 in the areas of Mathematics, Computer and Systems Science, Physics and Space Science, Chemistry and Material Science, Biology and Life Sciences, Basic Research for Medicine, Agricultural Sciences, Earth Sciences and Engineering.
India and China Signed 24 Agreements
- India and China signed a record 24 agreements in key sectors on May 15, 2015 i.e., second day of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s first visit to the communist neighbour on May 14, 2015. A Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on education exchange programme and ‘Space Cooperation Outline’ were signed.
- Protocol for setting-up Consulates-General at Chengdu and Chennai besides an MoU on consultative mechanism for cooperation in trade negotiations signed. An action plan between the Indian Railways and China National Railways on enhancing cooperation in the railway sector was signed.
- Four agreements were signed on sister-state and sister city relations between Karnataka and Sichuan province; Chennai and Chongqing; Hyderabad and Qingdao; and Aurangabad and Dunhuang. An agreement regarding setting-up of Mahatma Gandhi Skill Centre in Ahmedabad was also signed. A broadcast tie-up for Doordarshan and China’s State-run CCTV was also made.
- Agreements on education exchange programme, on mining and minerals, skill development, tourism and vocational education also found a place in the list.
- Two MoUs between Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and Yunnan Minzu University and another with Fudan University were signed on the establishment of a Yoga college and centre for Gandhian and Indian studies, respectively.
DD and CCTV Signed an Agreement for Exchange of Art, Culture Programmes
- State broadcasters Doordarshan and China Central Television (CCTV) have signed an agreement for exchange of television programmes related to art, culture and development on May 15, 2015.
- The agreement enanbles both Doordarshn and CCTV to share programmes on their networks free of cost. The exchange of programmes will begin by the end of 2015.
- The agreement was signed between both countries during the first leg of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s three nation visit to China, Mongolia and South Korea.
- Under the agreement Doordarshan will provide programmes pertaining’to art, culture and tourism. While, CCTV in turn will exchange human interest, development programmes and success stories.
MoU Signed between India and Seychelles on Renewable Energy Cooperation
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval on May 6, 2015 for the signing of a Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) on Renewable Energy Cooperation between India and Seychelles.
- The objective of the MoU is to strengthen, promote and develop renewable energy cooperation between the two countries on the basis of equality and mutual benefit. The MoU will also help in strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in the field of renewable energy.
Also Read: Sports Current Affairs September 2015
India and Iran Signed Pact on Developing Chabahar Port
- India on May 6, 2015 signed an agreement with Iran for the development of the strategically important Chabahar port after comprehensive talks between visiting Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitiri Gadkari with the Iran’s Minister for Transport and Urban Development Dr. Abbas Ahmad Akhoundi at Tehran.
- Chabahar port is located in Sistan-Balochistan Province on Iran’s South-Eastern coast and is of great strategic utility for India. The port will give India sea-land access route to Afghanistan bypassing Pakistan. The port will be used to ship crude oil and urea, saving India’s transportation costs.
- In this regard, the USA has been asking India and other countries not to ‘rush’ into doing business with Iran as Washington was yet to work out a deal with Tehran on the latter’s contentious nuclear programme.
Cabinet Cleared Bill on Bangladesh Land Boundary Accord
- The Union Cabinet meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, cleared the Constitutional (119th Amendment Bill), 2013 to operationalise the land boundary agreement with Bangladesh that entails exchange of enclaves by both countries on May 5, 2015.
- The Bill includes exchange of territories in Asom, West Bengal, Tripura and Meghalaya.
- The Parliamentary Standing Committee on External Affairs had also recommended a constitution amendment bill to enable the swapping of enclaves between India and Bangladesh.
- The Bill was placed in the Rajya Sabha in 2013 and subsequently referred to a select committee, headed by Shashi Tharoor of Congress, which unanimously recommended implementation of the deal.
So, this is India & World Current Affairs of July 2015 Month. It will be very helpful for the preparation of Bank SSC Railway UPSC Jobs Preparation. If you need any more stuff just comment below, we will provide the same.