Government Extended AFSPA in Three Districts of Arunachal Pradesh
- The Union Ministry of Home Affairs has extended the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) in three districts of Arunachal Pradesh on November 9, 2016.
- These districts are Tirap, Changlang and Longding. They have been ‘disturbed area’ under Section-3 of the AFSPA.
- The Naga underground factions including National I Socialist Council of Nagaland (Isak-Muivah)/NSCN-IM | and NSCN (Khaplang)/NSCN-K continue to indulge in j extortion, area domination, recruitment of locals and j inter-factional rivalry in these districts.
- The Parliament had enacted AFSPA in 1958 to confer special powers upon the armed forces in disturbed areas | declared under the Act, It provides army officers and jawans legal immunity for their actions in disturbed areas.
First International Agrobiodiversity Congress Concluded
- The first International Agrobiodiversity Congress was held | in New Delhi from November 6 to 9, 2016.
- The UN is urged to consider declaring soon a ‘Year of Agrobiodiversity’ to draw worldwide attention and to catalyze urgent action.
- It unanimously recommend that a congress focusing on ’ agrobiodiversity be held each 3-5 years in order to maintain emphasis on this important area that we have realised in Delhi, for which a continuing committee be formed.
Read Also – Sports Current Affairs
Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction Inaugurated
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held from November 3-5, 2016.
- This is the first major inter-governmental event after the adoption of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction (SFDRR).
- The conference will pave the way for implementation of the framework in the Asian region and will also devise a mechanism for monitoring its progress.
- The Sendai Framework, adopted at the third UN World Conference in Sendai, Japan in March, 2015.
- The conference will adopt the New Delhi Declaration, a political commitment of participating governments towards preventing and reducing disaster risk. It will also adopt the ‘Asian Regional Plan for implementation of the Sendai Framework.
‘Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan’ Unveiled
- The Union government launched Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) on November 4, 2016.
- It is aimed to reduce maternal and infant mortality rates through safe pregnancies and safe deliveries. The national programme will provide special free antenatal care to about 3 crore pregnant women across the country in order to detect and prevent high risk pregnancies.
- The nationwide programme will provide fixed day assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care to pregnant women on the 9th of every month.
- Pregnant women can now avail of a special antenatal check-up in their second or third trimesters at the government health facilities provided by gaenocology specialists/physicians with support from private sector doctors to supplement the efforts of the government sector.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.