- Gujarat clinched their maiden Ranji Trophy title as they rode on Parthiv Patel’s innings of 143 to beat defending champions Mumbai by five wickets on the final day at the Holkar Stadium on January 13, 2017.
- Gujarat became the 17th team to lift the title. With this title, Gujarat have won the domestic titles in T20, one-day and Ranji. They are only the fourth team to achieve this feat.
- The Ranji Trophy is a domestic first-class cricket championship played in India between teams representing regional cricket associations. The competition currently consists of 27 teams, with 21 of the 29 States in India and Delhi, having at least one representation.
- The competition is named after first Indian cricketer who played international cricket, Ranjitsinhji, who was also known as ‘Ranji’.
SAFF Women’s Championship 2017
- India won their fourth consecutive SAFF Women’s Championship title when they defeated Bangladesh 3-1 in the final of the 4th SAFF Women’s Championship in Siliguri on January 4, 2017.
- It is the biennial international Women’s football championship contested by the national teams of the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF).
- Apart from the hosts, India, six other South Asian teams participated in the tournament. On November 3, 2016 it was announced that Pakistan would not participate in the tournament.
Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold 2017
- Ace Indian shuttler PV Sindhu came out with yet another dominating performance as she defeated Indonesia’s Gregoria Mariska to clinch her maiden Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold women’s singles title on January 29, 2017.
- Sindhu, the Rio Olympic medalist, defeated Mariska in an arguably one-sided contest.
- In 2013, she became the first ever Indian women’s singles player to win a medal at the Badminton World Championships.
- In March, 2015, she became the youngest recipient of India’s fourth highest civilian honor, the Padma Shri.
Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold 2017
- Saina Nehwal defeated Thailand’s Pompawee Chochuwong in the women’s singles final of the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold in Sibu on January 22, 2017.
- She has won over twenty international titles, which include ten Superseries titles. Although, she reached to the world No.2 ranking in 2009, it was only in 2015 that she was able to attain the world No. 1 ranking.
- She has represented India three times in the Olympics, winning bronze medal in her second appearance.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.