India’s First Sports Museum Opened in Kolkata
- Sports Museum opened to the public in Kolkata on January 28, 2017.
- Perhaps the first-of-its-kind venture in the country, the museum will display memorabilia from cricket, hockey, football and the Olympics and Paralympics.
- It is Inaugurated by stalwarts (cricketers Sourav Ganguly and Sachin Tendulkar, Olympic gold winning shooter Abhinav Bindra, shot put athlete Deepa Malik and javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia) the museum boasts on an impressive collection painstakingly gathered by cricket historian Boria Majumdar for over 25 years.
AIFF Launched Professional League for Women Footballers
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) launched the first-ever Indian Women’s League (IWL) to be held at the Ambedkar Stadium in New Delhi from January 28 til February 14, 2017.
- The inaugural edition of the IWL will feature six teams — Jeppiar (Puducherry), Eastern Sporting Union (Imphal), Rising Student’s Club (Cuttack), Football Club Alakhpura (Haryana) and a team each from I-League and ISL clubs, Aizawl FC and Pune City FC.
Three Chinese Weightlifters Lose 2008 Bering Olympic Titles for Doping
- China imposed a one-year ban from international weightlifting competitions after three of its athletes were stripped of their 2008 Olympic gold medals on January 13, 2017.
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it had disqualified weightlifting gold medallists Cao Lei (75 kg), Chen Xiexia (48 kg) and Liu Chunhong (69 kg) from the Beijing Games after they tested positive for prohibited substances.
- The IOC also disqualified five more athletes from both the Beijing and London 2012 Olympics, including Nadzeya Ostapchuk, of Belarus, third in the women’s shot put competition in Beijing, whose sample was positive for anabolic steroids.
- Our women’s team is ranked 54 in the world which is higher than the men’s ranking of 129.
Also Read – Economy and Banking Current Affairs
Russia’s St. Petersburg Unveiled Logo for 2020 Euro Cup
- The official emblem of St. Petersburg for the 2020 Euro Cup football tournament was unveiled during i solemn ceremony on January 20, 2017.
- The logo of St. Petersburg for the 2020 Euro Cup depicts the Palace Bridge, which has established itself as one of the most iconic sites in the city.
Sports Ministry Constituted Committee to Suggest Improvements to Sports Code
- The Sports Ministry constituted a Committee for the improvement in National Sports Development Code after the recent controversial appointments of Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Chautala as life Presidents of Indian Olympic Association on January 3, 2017.
- The Committee will give its report within one month.
- The new Committee will suggest improvements in the present National Sports Development Code an the basis of suggestions and feedback given in these meetings.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.