India Hosted 10th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Electronic Governance
- The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology, collaboration with United Nations University and UNESCO, organised a three-day International Conferee 10th ICEGOV 2017 in Delhi from March 7-9, 2017. It themed on Building Knowledge Societies: From Digital Government to Digital Empowerment. The key objective of ICEGOV2017 is to explore how Digital Government can lead to Digital Empowerment by local knowledge.
- It is recognition of India’s emerging role as a massive cyber power, accelerated by the Digital India push which has acquired international acknowledgment. Digital Governance is the future of Good Governance.
- ICEGOV 2017 is the 10th edition of ICEGOV, which will focus on the use of technology to transform relationships between government and citizens, businesses, civil society.
India’s Longest Cable-bridge Inaugurated in Bharuch
- The Prime Minister, inaugurated the 1.4 extra dose cable bridge on the Ahmedabad-Mumbai National Highway on March 7, 2017.
- The bridge is 1344 m long and 22.8 m wide. It is built by Larsen and Turbo as a part of the Rs 379 crore project of the National Highway Authority of India.
- The project was completed in September, 2017, a small delay than the expected time of August.
- The bridge consists of 216 cables, each one of them being 25 to 40 m long.
Chandigarh hosted Destination North East 2017
- Chandigarh hosted a three-day long Destination North East 2017 event aimed at showcasing North East as a potential destination for investment from March 5 to 7, 2017.
- The event is being organised by the Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), government of India and an industry body PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
- The event will see round table discussions and exhibition stalls showcasing various features of the North East Region in order to attract investments in tourism, skill development, food processing, handlooms and handicrafts, rural livelihoods, entrepreneurship and microfinance, horticulture and floriculture, medicinal & aromatic plants, organic farming and bamboo development.
Endangered Tribal Language, Kurukh got Official Language Status in West Bengal
- Kurukh, an endangered tribal language of the Dravidian family, is set to get a new lease of life in West Bengal on March 3, 2017. It is spoken by the Oraon tribal community.
- Experts say that while most of the tribal languages in the State have their origins in the Austro-Asiatic and Tibeto-Barman families, Kurukh is an exception.
- “The only example of a tribal language having its origin from the Dravidian family is Malto, which is not spoken in West Bengal, but in the Rajmahal hills of Jharkhand”.
President of India Presented ‘Standard’ to 125 Helicopter Squadron
- The President of India, Pranab Mukherjee presented the ‘Standard’ to 125 Helicopter Squadron and ‘Colours’ to Mechanical Training Institute of Indian Air Force on March 3, 2017 at Air Force Station (Tambaram, Tamil Nadu).
- India is a responsible and emerging power in a multipolar, multilateral world. The ever changing socio-economic and geo-political scenario in our region of influence demands a strong deterrent against those with nefarious designs to affect the progress, prosperity and security of our nation.
- Apart from providing deterrence against inimical entities, both external and internal, our armed forces have been at the forefront of providing succour to our citizens during natural calamities. The relentless and sdlfless operations showcase the fortitude and determination of its gallant air warriors.
Half of India-Bangladesh Border Fenced
- Half of the 4096 km border India shares with Bangladesh fenced on March 2, 2017. The border runs along West Bengal for 2216.7 km, Assam 263 km, Meghalaya 443 km, Tripura 856 km and Mizoram 318 km.
- The aim of the project is to curb infiltration and smuggling of cattle and fake Indian currency notes.
- 70 km of the south Bengal frontier (from South 24 Parganas to Malda) is riverine.
Steel Minister Inaugurated Maiden Regional Conference of Eastern States
- Steel Minister Chaudhary Birender Singh inaugurated the maiden regional conference of Eastern States, on ‘Enhancing steel consumption in India’ at Gangtok, Sikkim on March 2, 2017.
- The conference aims to explore various avenues of promoting usage of steel, considering India’s low per capita steel consumption of 61 kg, vis-a-vis the world average of 208 kg, which represents the huge potential for growth.
- India has became world’s third largest steel producer and is expected to achieve an installed capacity of 300 million tonnes fmt) of crude steel by 2030-31.
‘Operation Thunderbird’ and ‘Operation Save Kurma’ Resulted in Huge Seizures throughout the Country
- In a major success in the fight against wildlife crime, Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB), Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, coordinated ‘Operation Thunderbird’ in India, from January 30 to February 19, 2017.
- Operation Thunderbird is the code-name for INTERPOL’S multi-national and multi-species enforcement operation.
- CCB had convened a species specific operation on turtles, code named, ‘Operation Save Kurma’ from December 15 last year to January 30, this year. A total of 15739 live turtles were recovered from 45 suspects, having inter-State linkages.
- The operation brought about an awareness among the enforcement agencies to focus on the existing trade routes and major trade hubs in the country, which will be specifically focused in future.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.