BCCI got New Constitution
- Indian cricket’s one-time power centre Mumbai has lost its permanent voting status as per the new Constitution of the Indian Cricket Board finalised by the Committee of Administrators (COA) appointed by the Supreme Court of India on March 18,2017.
- Predictably all the North Eastern States including Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim have been granted full membership and voting rights as recommended in Dodha Panel reforms. Uttarakhand, Telangana are also full members now.
- Accordingly the AGM of BCCI will have to be conducted by September 30 every year and the Apex Council will go for election in every three years.
- The Apex Council will be primarily responsible for the governance of affairs in BCCI. The Apex Council shall comprise of 9 members with five elected—President, Vice-President, Secretary, Joint Secretary and Treasurer.
- The day-to-day affairs of BCCI are set to be managed by the CEO with six full time managers at his disposal. The criteria for national selection committee remained same with Chairman entitled to have a casting vote.
CAS Tribunal Upholds Lifetime Ban on Russian Doping Doctor
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) upheld a lifetime ban levied against Sergei Portugalov, former Chief of the Russian Athletics Federation’s Medical Commission, for his role in providing illicit substances to Russian athletes on March 13,2017.
- Lausanne-based CAS upheld the ban as part of an arbitration involving the International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) and the Russian Athletics Federation, citing in a statement ‘dear evidence’ that he violated IAAF doping rules governing possession and trafficking of prohibited substances.
- In a 2015 report, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) wrote that Portugalov supplied performance enhancing drugs to athletes and coaches, administered doping programmes and ‘even injected athletes himself’.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.