Kochi Airport became World’s First to Operate on Solar Power
- The Cochin International Airport became the first in the world on August 18, 2015 to operate completely on solar power. Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy inaugurated the 12 MWp solar power plant, comprising 46150 solar panels laid across 45 acres near the cargo complex.
- With this, the airport will have 50000 to 60000 units of electricity per day to be consumed for all its operational functions, which technically makes the airport ‘absolutely power neutral. The plant was installed by the Kolkata-based Vikram Solar Private Limited.
- A total of 400 polycrystalline modules of 250 Wp with five numbers of 20 kW capacity ‘Refu-sol make string inverters’ were used in this plant. It is a grid connected system without any battery storage.
Manipur Reached Agreement with Joint Committee on HP System
- Manipur government has reached an agreement on August 20, 2015 with the Joint Committee on the Inner Line Permit System (JCILPS) on insertion of five major points in the t)raft Bill to safeguard the rights of indigenous people of Manipur.
- A joint statement issued in Imphal by the State government and JCILPS said that the State government has complied with the demand of the JCILPS. The agreement came after a marathon talk between the State government and the JCILPS.
- The agreement is spearheading the movement for implementation of Inner Line Permit system in Manipur which is a special pass or permit that is required to enter the North-Eastern States of Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland and Mizoram.
US Firm Signed Deal with Haryana Government to Create 2000 Jobs
- The Haryana government has signed a deal on August 19, 2015 with Connecticut-based firm United Technologies, a leading US firm to manufacture air conditioners at an eight-acre facility nmaed ‘carrier’ in Gurgaon that will generate about 2000 jobs.
- United Technologies provides a broad range of high-technology products and support services to customers in the aerospace and building industries worldwide.
- The production unit will be in addition to the existing facilities United Technologies already has in Gurgaon which is 35 km from New Delhi.
- Haryana government has scheduled nine-day tour to the USA and Canada under which Haryana Chief Minister visit New York, Washington DC, San Francisco, Vancouver and Toronto and seek investments in IT, Renewable energy, Services, Manufacturing sector.
Union Government Announced 30% Tax Sop for Industries in Bihar
- The Finance Ministry declared on August 19, 2015 that 21 districts in Bihar including capital Patna will be entitled to 30% income tax rebate for five years under Section-32 of the IT Act from April,’2015 to March, 2020.
- This concession will be given to new manufacturing plants and machinery to be set-up in the 21 ‘backward’ districts which includes Patna, Nalanda, Bhojpur, Rohtas, Kaimur, Gaya, Jehanabad, Aurangabad, Nawada, Vaishali, Sheohar, Samastipur, Darbhanga, Madhubani, Purnia, Katihar, Araria, Jamui, I.akhisarai, Supau! and Muzaffarpur.
- Any manufacturing undertaking or enterprise set-up during the period from Apfil, 2015 to March, 2020 in the aforesaid backward areas of Bihar will be eligible for 15% additional depreciation under Section-32(l)(iia) and 15% investment allowance under Section-32AD of the Income Tax Act.
Prime Minister Announced Rs 1.25 Lakh Crore Special Package for Bihar
- Ahead of the Assembly elections in Bihar, Prime Minister Narendra Modi annpunced a package of Rs 1.25 lakh crore for the State at a function in Ara on August 18, 2015.
- He inaugurated several national highway and skill development projects there.
- Besides, the Union government has launched several road and power projects estimated at Rs 40000 crore in the State. So, the total package for Bihar Comes to Rs 1.65 lakh crore and this will believe to change the fate of Bihar.
Gujarat became First State to Implement Agro-Solar Policy
- Gujarat Energy Research and Management Institute (GERMI) Director Prof. T. Harinarayana told on August 17, 2015 that the State-run companies will set-up Solar Photo Voltaic (SPV) plants in different farms fields where farmers and power generation companies will be in a win-win situation with generation of solar energy.
- Generation Companies like Gujarat Industries Power Company Limited (GIPCL), Gujarat State Electricity Corporation Limited (GSECL) and Gujarat Power Corporation Limited (GPCL) have already set-up SPV plants in farm fields on the experimental basis.
- Thus, Gujarat is going to becomf the first State in India to launch ‘Agro-Solar policy’.
- Farmers will lease out their agricultural land for solar energy generation and are likely to get 30 to 40% share from the profit of power generation companies.
- The solar photo voltaic plant’will be set-up on poles so that fanners can also grow their crops. Besides, the companies will get good space for electricity generation.
We hope you like State Level Current Affairs for September 2015 (Part 2), give your feedback in comments and keep visiting Current Affairs.