Mobile App Launched in Bihar to Aid Digital Literacy
- Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad has launched a mobile application Disha on August 9, 2015 in Bihar to aid digital literacy in the State which is expected to help people in learning about computers and Internet through self-learning modules.
- In order to offer digital literacy to tribal and Dalit women in Bihar, the Telecom Minister awarded tablet computers to women who received training from common service centres in Bihar, The app is free and available on Google Play Store.
- Under the initiatives to improve digital connectivity in Bihar, the BSNL will install 1000 new base stations in the state and 184 of these will be located in Naxal-affected areas. All 8354 gram panchayats of Bihar will be connected under Bharat Net in next three years.
Read Also – Economy and Banking Current Affairs September 2015.
Annual Festival of Ethnic Lepcha Tribe of Sikkim Celebrated
- In Sikkim, Tendong Lho Rum Faat, the annual festival of the ethnic Lepcha tribe of Sikkim was celebrated with traditional devotion and fanfare on August 8, 2015. They worship the Mount Tendong on this day, which, according to the folklore, is the saviour for them.
- A special programme of puja and folk songs and dances has been organised in the capital Gangtok to mark the festival of Tendong Lho Rum Faat. The Lepchas, said to be the aboriginals of the State, are great worshippers of nature.
Maharashtra Government Sign 2d MoU with Foxconn
- Maharashtra government sign a Memorandum of Understandings (MoU) with Taiwan-based Foxconn, the world’s largest contract manufacturer of electronics, on August 8, 2015 to set-up manufacturing facility in the State.
- Foxconn had been shown land in Pune district apd also in and around Nagpur and Aurangabad for its proposed investment. In the first phase, the company may invest $ 1 billion in the State. Now, the company will bring the entire supply chain to India and not-looking just at assembling.
- Foxconn makes devices for Apple, Huawei, Xiaomi, Black Berry and Motorola. This is the second MoU being signed in quick success in Maharashtra. Recently, General Motors had proposed to invest Rs 6400 crore for expansion of its manufacturing facility in Pune district.
Tripura Assembly Passed Resolution against Death Penalty
- Tripura Assembly has passed a resolution on August 7, 2015 to request the Union government to amend Section-302 of the IPC to abolish capital punishment.
- The resolution is apparently fallout of recent hanging of Yakub Memon, prirtte accused in Mumbai serial blasts.
- The government of Tripura also mentioned that the capital punishment has not yielded effective results and it has not reduced the tendency of heinous crimes.
- Most of the developed countries in the world also have abolished the death penalty and only 58 countries still are following or practising the old law.
Bihar Assembly Passed Grievance Redressal Bill
- Bihar State legislative Assembly on August 4, 2015 passed the Bihar Public Grievance Redressal Bill, 2015 by a voice vote.
- It will empower people to seek redressal of their grievances in a time-bound manner by government officials.
- In this regard, the Powers are vested on the Public Grievance Redressal Officer and the first and second Appellate Authorities to deal with delayed grievances cases.
- In case of on failure to hear and redress grievances, penalty ranging from Rs 500 to 5000 will be imposed on the government servants.
We hope you like State Level Current Affairs for September 2015 (Part 4), give your feedback in comments and keep visiting Current Affairs.