Appointments Current affairs
- The Union government has appointed AK Jha, as the Interim Chairman and Managing Director of National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) Limited on September 1, 2015.
- He replaced the incumbent CMD Arup Roy Choudhury’s whose five-year term came to an end on August 31, 2015.
- NTPC Limited is a Central Public Sector Undertaking working under the aegis of Union Ministry of Power.
- Supreme Court Judge of Greece Vassiliki Thanou had sworn-in as the head of a caretaker government on August 28, 2015. With this, she becomes the country’s first female Prime Minister.
- She will lead the nation until next snap election which is scheduled to be held in September, 2015.
- The outgoing Prime Minister, Alexis Tsipras, resigned in the third week of August, 2015 and triggered the snap elections after suffering a major rebellion in his Syriza party over Greece’s huge new international bailout.
- Online marketplace ‘Snapdeal’ has appointed Rajiv Mangla, its Chief Technology Officer (CTO) on August 27, 2015.
- He replaced Amitabh Misra, who had quit Snapdeal in February,2015 to start a new travel venture Bona Vita Technologies.
- Mangla joined Snapdeal after a decade long stint at Adobe Systems where he recently served as Vice-President, engineering and digital marketing.
- Ranil Wickremesinghe on August 21, 2015 was sworn-in as Prime Minister for the fourth time.
- On the occasion, General Secretaries of the UNP and the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP), Kabir Flashim and Duminda Dissanayake, signed an agreement to form a national government.
- He holds record of being Member of Parliament continuously without losing his seat for the last 38 years in Sri Lankan history.
- Sirimavo Bhandaranaike of the SLFP was the only other person to become Prime Minister four times since Sri Lanka’s independence.
- Ashwani Lohani, a 1980-batch Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers (IRSME) officer appointed as Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Air India Limited for three years on August 20, 2015.
- He will replaced Rohit Nandan, whose extended tenure ends on August 21, 2015. He is presently working as Managing Director of Madhya Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation.
- Britain’s Sebastian Coe was elected as new President of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on August 19, 2015 at the 50th IAAF Congress.
- He succeeds Lamine Diack (Senegal) who had led the IAAF for 16 years since 1999. Thus, he becomes the sixth President in the organisation’s 103-year history.
- He is a two-time Olympic 1500 m champion and Chief organiser of the 2012 London Olympics.
- UNICEF appointed Novak Djokovic, ace tennis player as a Goodwill Ambassador on August 26, 2015.
- Djokovic has focused on the issues of vulnerable children and their communities through his previous position and his own Novak Djokovic Foundation.
- Novak has been lending his support to improving the lives of children, especially those who are amongst the most marginalised, with a particular focus on the importance of early childhood education.
- India-born Sundar Pichai was named CEO of Google on August 11, 2015, by the company’s founders Larry Page and Sergei Brin.
- Pichai received a B.Tech from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur. He had joined Google in 2004 as its Vice-President of product management.
- Google is an American multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products.
- Veteran actor-filmmaker Amol Palekar has been appointed as the chairman of India’s Oscar jury by the Film Federation of India.(FFI) on August 24, 2015.
- He will succeed veteran film directors Hariharan and Goutani Ghose as the Chairman of the committee.
- Amol’s film ‘Paheli’ was chosen as India’s official entry for the Academy Awards in 2005.
- He will be heading a 17-member jury from September 17 to 24 that will select India’s official entry for the 88th Academy Awards.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
We hope you like News Orbit Current Affairs September 2015 (Part 1), give your feedback in comments.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.