- Larsen & Toubro appointed Sanjay Jalo as CEO and Managing Director of its IT arm L&T Infotech on August 11, 2015.
- Jalona was previously worked as Executive Vice-President and Global Head of High-Tech Manufacturing & Engineering Services at Bangalore-ba IT company Infosys. He has also been appointed to L&T Infotech’s board.
- Justice Madanlal Laxmandas Tahaliyani, a retired judge of Bombay High Court, was sworn-in as the new Maharashtra Lokayukta on August 24, 2015.
- He was administered the. oath of office by Governor C. Vidyasagar Rao. Justice Tahaliyani succeeds retired Justice PB Gaikwad, whose term as Lokayukta ended on July 1, 2014.
- He was appointed as Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, Mumbai, in 1994 and Chief Metropolitan Magistrate, Mumbai, in 1997.
- Cricket icon and Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar has been roped as a Tiger Ambassador of Maharashtra as on August 17, 2015.
- His popular face will help Maharashtra to raise awareness about saving the tigers in the State.
- Maharashtra has six tiger sanctuaries, including five in Vidarbha (Eastern part of the State) and one in the Sahyadri ranges in’ the Western part, besides Madhya Pradesh’s four, Chhattisgarh’s three and Telangana’s one.
- Maharashtra has recorded around 190 tigers as per the 2014 Tiger census. Tiger population has recorded a steady rise from 103 in 2006 to 169 in 2010.
- India is currently home to 2226 tigers, shooting-up significantly from 1706 in 2010.
See Also – International Current Affairs November 2015 .
- Jethabhai P. Patel has been unanimously elected as the Chairman of Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF) on August 12, 2015. He was first elected as Chairman in August, 2014.
- Patel has been Chairman of Sabarkantha District Cooperative Milk Producers Union Limited, Sabar Dairy, since 2010.
- He had been serving as GCMMF’s interim Chairman following a no-confidence motion passed against former Chairman Vipul Chaudharyin 2013.
Appointment of MDs, CEOs and Non-Executive Chairmen of Banks
- The government announced on August 15, 2015 the appointment of new heads of five banks.
- These appointments were made as part of fresh measures to improve the performance of the State-owned banks, which are Struggling with rising bad loans.
Newly Appointed State-owned Banks’ Managing Directors and CEOs
|Name of the Bank||Official|
|Bank of Baroda||PS Jayakumar|
|Bank of India||MO Rego|
|Canara Bank||Rakesh Sharma|
|IDBI Bank||Kishore Piraji Karat|
|Newly Appointed State-owned Banks’|
|Name of Bank||Official|
|Bank of Baroda||Ravi Venkatesan|
|Bank of India||G. Padmanabhan|
|Canara Bank||TN Manoharan|
Ajit Kumar Seth
- Former Cabinet Secretary Ajit Kumar Seth was appointed as the Chairman of the Public
- Enterprises Selection Board (PESB), the government’s head-hunter on August 14, 2015 for a period of three years or till he attains 65 years of age.
- Seth has been appointed in place of Atul Chaturvedi, who has completed his tenure. IAS officers Gauri Kumar and Anshuman Das, former CMD of NALCO, have also been appointed as members in PESB.
- Seth, a 1974-batch IAS officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, completed his extended tenure of four years at the Cabinet secretariat on June 13, 2015.
- PESB is entrusted with selection and placement of the posts of Chairman, Managing Director or Chairman-cum-Managing Director and Functional Director in Central Public Sector Enterprises, among others.
Acharya Dev Vrat
- Acharya Dev Vrat was sworn-in as the 27th Governor of Himachal Pradesh on August 12, 2015. Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmed Mir administered the oath of office and secrecy to him. He took the oath in Sanskrit.
- He has been actively involved in social activities, including environment protection, promotion of yoga, inculcating moral values among the youth, protection of cow breeds, organic agriculture, promotion of girl education, ayurveda and naturopathy.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
We hope you like News Orbit Current Affairs September 2015 (Part 2), give your feedback in comments.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.