Tennis Current Affairs
US Open 2015
- Novak Djokovic, the Serbian tennis player defeated Roger Federer the Swiss tennis player in the 2015 US Open men’s singles final on September 13, 2015.
- He is the US Open champion for the first time since 2011. It’s his third Grand Slam title of the season after winning the Australian Open and Wimbledon.
- Flavia Pennetta, the Italian tennis player has defeated Roberta Vinci from Italy in the women’s singles final of the US Open 2015.
- With this victory, she became the first Italian US Open champion and it was also her maiden US Grand Slam title. It was also her 4th and final Grand Slam of the season and she is only the 2nd Italian woman to win a tennis major Grand Slam titles.
- French pair of Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won the men’s doubles trophy of the US Open 2015 by defeating the pair Jamie Murray from United Kingdom and John Peers from Australia.
- The pair of Sania Mirza (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) won the women’s doubles trophy of the US Open 2015 by defeating the pair of Gasey Dellacqua from Australia and Yaroslava Shvedova from Kazakhstan.
- It was their fourth title of this season after winning Wimbledon Championship, BNP Paribas Open and WTA Family Circle Cup doubles title earlier.
- The pair of Leander Paes (India) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) won the mixed doubles title of the US Open 2015 by defeating the American pair of Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Sam Querrey.
- It was their third title of this season after winning Australian Open and Wimbledon Championship earlier.
Guangzhou Open 2015
- The world number-one team of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis won their 6th title of the year at thp Guangzhou Open by defeating Xu Shilin and You Xiaodi on September 26, 2015.
- The world No. 1 pair have also won WTA tour events in Indian Wells, Miami and Charleston. Sania thus claimed her seventh title of the season. She has won six titles with Hingis this year including triumphs at Wimbledon and US Open. She won one trophy with Bethanie-Mattek Sands in Sydney.
- Sania and Hinghis have now won six of 13 events they have played since joining forces in March, 2015 i.e., Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston, Wimbledon, the US Open and now Guangzhou. They have an incredible 42-7 win-loss record together.
Read Also – General Awareness Online Quiz.
Shanghai Challenger 2015
- Yuki Bhambri clinch the $ 50000 Challenger title in Shanghai by defeating Di Wu of China on September 13, 2015. This was his fourth singles Challenger title. He has won one title in each of the last four years.
- Yuki Bhambri is former Junior No. 1 and winner of 2009 Australian Open Junior Championship. He is first Indian to win the junior Australian Open title and fourth Indian in history to capture a junior singles Grand Slam championship title.
- Bhambri has 10 Futures singles titles, including one this season, apart from his four Challenger triumphs. In doubles, he has won five tournaments at the Challenger level, including one this season, and one Futures event.
IBSF World Billiards Championship
- India’s most successful cueist Pankaj Advani won the IBSF World Billiards Championship at Adelaide, Australia on September 27, 2015. He outplayed his opponent Singapore’s Peter Gilchrist by 1168 points in the final to take his world title count to 14.
- Advani is the first cueist in the world to win the Grand double three times. He is 14-time World Billiards and Snooker Champion. He is only player in the world to win world titles in all formats of both, Billiards and Snooker.
- He was awarded by the Union government of India several awards in recognition of his performance. Those includes Arjuna Award in 2004, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 2006 and Padma Shri in 2009.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.