- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina-of Bangladesh had awarded the United Nations Champions of the Earth award on September 27, 2015 for recognition of her country’s initiatives to address climate change at New York (USA). As per UN Environment Programme (UNEP) Sheikh Hasina has proven that investing in climate change is conducive to achieving social and economic development.
- In addition to Sheikh Hasina, the other winners announced so far are the National Geographic Society (Science and Innovation); Brazilian cosmetics firm Natura (Entrepreneurial Vision); and South Africa’s Black Mamba Anti-Poaching Unit (Inspiration and Action).
- Ashok-Alexander Sridharan, a person of Indian origin won a recent mayoral election in German city of Bonn on September 14, 2015.
- Sridharan’s father, who was an Indian diplomat, immigrated to Germany in the 1950s.
- He brought the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) to power in Bonn after over two decades by defeating the ruling Social Democratic Party.
- He had earlier, served as treasurer and assistant mayor in the nearby Koenigswinter town.
Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy
- G. Satheesh Reddy, Scientific Adviser to Raksha Mantri and eminent Missile Scientist of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) conferred with the silver medal of The Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS), London on September 12, 2015.
- He received this award in recognition of his contributions as one of the leading navigation and avionics experts, under whose leadership India has developed State-of-the-Art avionics sensors and systems for key national strategic programmes and other defense applications.
- PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi is the sole Indian-origin executive in Fortune’s list of 50 most powerful women in business. She move up a notch from her third position in 2014.
- Nooyi marks her 9th year atop the $ 66.6 billion snack-and-drink behemoth in a stronger positipn than she’s been in for a long time.
- General Motors CEO Mary Barra tops the Fortune list and in her second year as head of the nation’s largest auto-maker.
- Barra has led the $ 156-billion-in-sales company- out from under the shadow of its 2014 ignition-switch recall.
SASTRA Ramanujan Prize 2015
- Jacob Tsimerman of the University of Toronto, Canada has been selected for The 2015 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize on September 27, 2015.
- The age limit for the prize has been set at 32 because Ramanujan achieved so much in his brief life of 32 years.
- Srinivasa Ramanujan is considered as master of number theory, infinite series, mathematical analysis, and making formulas and equations without any formal training.
Read Also – Ecology & Environment Current Affairs August.
Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar and National Safety Awards
- The Minister of State for Labour & Employment (Independent Charge) Bandaru Dattatreya gave away Vishwakarma Rashtriya Puraskar (VRP) and National Safety Awards (NSA) for the Performance Year 2013 on September 17, 2015.
- There are 28 award winners out of a total of 19,3 applications received from different Industries for the Performance Year 2013. This year these 28 awards are being shared by 132 individuals.
Global Leadership Awards 2015
- Shobhana Bhartia, Chairperson and Editorial Director of HT Media, and Indra Nooyi, Chairman and CEO of PepsiCo, have been presented US-India Business Council’s (USIBC) prestigious Global Leadership Awards on September 21, 2015.
- Both were honored for their “contributions and commitment to driving a more inclusive global economy and for their roles as women leaders”. The two were honored by the largest bilateral US trade association made up of 300 top US and Indian companies.
- Both of them were presented the awards during the annual gala of the USIBC. USIBC is the top advocacy group for India and American companies in the US. I aims to deepen trade and strengthen commercial ties between both countries.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.