Tsunami Early Warning System ‘Siren’ Tested Successfully
• The newly installed tsunami Early Warning System in the Indian Ocean Region (10R) ‘Siren’ along with a Digital Electronic Board was successfully tested on October 26, 2015 near INS-Angre in Fort area.
• The system was remotely controlled by Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad. The siren will operate continuously for one minute in case of a possible tsunami threat.
• Based on a request by the Indian Navy, system is installed at the Meteorology Office of Western Naval Command by INCOIS, an autonomous organisation under Ministry of Earth & Sciences (MoES), government of India.
You may also like- International Current Affairs (Monthly)
Bengaluru-based Saankhya Labs Developed ‘Pruthvi’ Chip
• As on October 20, 2015, Pruthvi (Earth) is at the heart of a transmitter called Meghdoot, made by Bangalore-based Saankhya Labs uses TV white space the unused frequencies in the television broadcasting wireless spectrum to power Internet routers.
• The networks often leave a buffer between channels for safety reasons, and these bands of empty signal are known as white spaces. These spaces, usually in the 470 MHz to 790 MHz band, are at a lower frequency than cell phone signals and therefore a longer wavelength, giving the signal a longer range.
• Limited internet Connectivity in developing nations, particularly in densely populated India, is an issue that the likes of Google and Facebook have tried to address. Now, Pruthvi chip can be used to deliver fairly low-speed Internet access over a wide area.
Ecology & Environment
7.5 Magnitude Earthquake Hit Hindu Kush in Afghanistan
• A massive earthquake of 7.5 magnitude on the Richter scale rocked the Northern Indian subcontinent on October 26, 2015. the epicentre of the earthquake was in the Hindu Kush region of Afghanistan.
• The fodbs of earthquake was cantered at 196 km deep beneath the Hindu Kush Mountains. The US Geological Survey said the epicentre was 45 km South-South-West of Jann in Afghanistan, j 1 around 240 km from the capital Kabul.
• it was centred 82 km southeast of Fcyzabad district in sparsely ; populated Badakhshan province bordering with Pakistan,Tajikistan and China The tremor’ jolted the whole of Northern India including Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Delhi, Haryana and Uttar Pradesh.
NDRF Tied-up with 30 PSUs to Tackle Disasters
• The NDRF, country’s elite disaster mitigation combat force, has tied-up with about 30 PSUs on October 23, 2015 in order to develop mutual understanding and enhance capabilities to jointly tackle man-made or natural emergencies.
• A coordination meeting in this regard was held at New Delhi between the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and prominent Public Sector Undertakings like ONGC, GAIL, Air India and those in the mining and shipping and heavy industries sector.
Four New Crab Species Found in Kerala
• The researchers at the Department of Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, University of Kerala, have reported about the discovery of four new species of crab from the Kerala coast. The findings have been published in Zootaxa, the international journal of taxonomy in the month of October, 2015.
• The first of the new hermit crab species named Paguristes luculentus was collected off the coast of Kollam.
• The second species Diogenes canaliculatus is light brown or tan and named after the longitudinal furrows on the outer surface of the arm of the left chelate leg. Both the hermit crabs belong to the family Diogenidae and their left claw is larger.
Watch Video- How to find square of any number (Maths tricks)
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more.
Click Here to Register For Latest Current Affairs, Question Paper, Free online test Alert directly in Your Inbox.