International Current Affairs May 2016
Bangladesh Passed Law to Impeach Supreme Court Judges
- Bangladesh government passed a draft of the Bangladesh Supreme Court Judge (Investigation Act) 2016 on April 26, 2016 to impeach the Supreme Court judges for misbehavior and incapacity as well as physical and mental incapability.
- The proposed law allows any citizen with evidence can submit allegations of misconduct or incapacity against a Supreme Court judge to the Speaker of Parliament.
- The Speaker will then form a 10-member parliamentary body will investigate the allegations with former a Supreme Court judge, a former Attorney-General and noted jurists to review the primary report.
Europe became World’s First Malaria-free Region
- According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), Europe, on April 21, 2016, became the world’s first region to eliminate malaria the zone recorded with zero cases reported last year.
- The number of cases reported dropped to zero in 2015 from 90712 in 1995, and the last cases were reported in Tajikistan in 2014.
- The region has zero locally acquired malaria cases for at least three successive years; it is eligible for official certification of malaria elimination by the WHO.
Hiroshima Declaration Calls for Peace
- US Secretary of State John Kerry and G7 Foreign Ministers issued Hiroshima Declaration on April 11, 2016 that calls for a world without nuclear weapons.
- The G7 Countries discussed various issues including terrorism and other security threats as well as instability in the Middle-East and the refugee crisis.
- G7 countries include—Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and the USA. The Hiroshima declaration comes as some of the G7 member states including the USA and Britain possess huge nuclear stockpiles.
Saudi Arabia and Egypt to Build Bridge over the Red Sea
- Saudi Arabia and Egypt have reached an agreement on April 10, 2016 to build a bridge over the Red Sea connecting the two countries to boost trade, Both the countries had also signed 17 agreements to enhance bilateral ties.
- It is proposed that the joint bridge planned over the Red Sea at the entrance of the Gulf of Aqaba. It will be located at the closest point near Nabq, North of Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt and RasAlsheikh Hamid in Saudi Arabia where two countries are 16 km apart.
- A Red Sea bridge linking the two countries has been proposed several times before but has failed to become a reality. Previous estimates for the bridge project suggested a cost of around $ 3-4 billion. The announcement in this regard was made by Saudi Arabia’s King Salman, who is on a 5-days official visit to Egypt.
China and Sri Lanka Agreed to Resume Colombo Port City Project
- China and Sri Lanka have decided to redefine the Colombo Port City project on April 9, 2016 by making it an international financial outpost in the ,, Indian Ocean, as part of the 20-year framework plan.
- Sri Lanka sees huge potential in economic cooperation with China, and will use the Chinese initiative to develop a 21st century Maritime Silk Road to advance infrastructure development in Sri Lanka.
- Both sides will also advance development towards China-Sri Lanka Free Trade Agreement (FTA) negotiations, promote joint ventures. Sri Lanka seeks to expand cooperation with China in the areas of economy, culture, science and technology.
UN First Time Observed Dr. Ambedkar Birth Anniversary
- The Permanent Mission of India to the . UN in association with the KalpanaSaroj Foundation and Foundation for Human Horizon will commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar on April 13, 2016 at the UN headquarters, Geneva.
- The birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar, the architect of the Indian Constitution and Dalit rights activist, would be observed at the United Nations for the first time with focus on combating inequalities to achieve Sustainable Development Goals.
- The vision of Dr. Ambedkar, to achieve social justice and equality also included in the main message of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development goals.
International Conference on ‘Zero’ Held
- An International Conference was held at UNESCO headquarters in Paris (France) from April 4-5, 2016.
- It was hosted by Indian delegation of UNESCO in collaboration with Pierre and Marie Curie University.
- Major focus was on the topics like Indian Mathematics : Negative numbers, Zero, Infinity and Beyond, Zero : Infinity and set theory. Gems of Ramanujan and their lasting impact on Mathematics, Arabic traditions in Mathematics etc.
- At this .event A bronze best of ancient Indian Mathematician and astronomer Aryabhatta was unveiled which was sculpted by Ram Sutar (India).
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.