Sports Current Affairs May 2016
Tennis Current Affairs
Barcelona Open 2016
- Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal, won the 2016 Barcelona Open title of Tennis by defeating Kei Nishikori of Japan in the final match played in Barcelona (Spain) on April 24, 2016.
- It was his overall 9th Barcelona Open title and 69th win from 101 finals on the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) World Tour.
- With this victory, Nadal equalled Guillermo Vilas’ decade’s record of 49 clay-court titles. He has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, 28 titles in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events and 16 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.
Monte Carlo Masters 2016
- Spain Maestro Rafael Nadal won his ninth Monte Carlo Masters title by defeating Gael Monfils of France by in his 100th career title clash in France on April 18, 2016.
- He won the title eight consecutive times between 2005 and 2012, creating him the only male player in the open era to win eight consecutive titles at the same tournament. In total, he has won 14 Grand Slam singles titles, 28 titles in ATP World Tour Masters 1000 events and 16 ATP World Tour 500 tournaments.
ISSF Junior World Cup
- Indian shooters made a historical victory by winning 3 gold medals and a Bronze on the inaugural day of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Cup on May 2, 2016.
- A gold in the team events of men’s 25 m standard pistol won by Rituraj Singh, Shivam Shukla and Arjun Das.
- A gold in team events of women’s 50 m rifle won by Gaayathri Nithyanadam, Sonika and Ayushi Poddar. A gold in men’s 25 m standard pistol by Rituraj Singh. A bronze in the women’s 50 m rifle prone competition by Gaayathri Nithyanadam.
ISSF World Cup
- Indian shooter Mairaj Ahmed Khan won silver medal in the men’s skeet event at ISSF World Cup held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on April 25, 2016 while gold medal was won by Sweden’s Marcus Svensson and the bronze medal was won by Tamarro Casandro of Italy.
- Earlier in the year, he became India’s first ever skeet shooter to win an Olympic seat after finishing at sixth place in last year’s ISSF Shotgun World Cup in Italy.
- In the 2010, Commonwealth Shooting Championship he won a team gold medal which was his best international performance earlier. Indian shooter Jitu Rai ended with 6th spot in the men’s 50 m pistol event on April 20, 2016.
Malaysian Open 2016
- Lee Chong Wei (Malaysia) won the men’s singles title on April 10, 2016 at the Malaysia Open title of Badminton.
- He defeated world number one Chen Long (China), beating him in a match that lasted 42 minutes.
- The title is Chong Wei’s 11th Malaysia Open crown after having won in 2004, 2005, 2006 and consecutively from 2008-2014.
Chinese Grand Prix 2016
- Nico Rosberg Mercedes driver won in Chinese Grand Prix over Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton on April 17, 2016.
- This was his 17th win and Rosberg became the fourth driver in the sport’s history to win six races in succession by joining Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher and Alberto Ascari.
- Chinese Grand Prix race was the 3rd race of the 2016 season of Formula One I in which total 11 teams had participated.