Sports Current Affairs
Indian Premier League 2016
- Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by 8 runs to clinch their maiden Indian Premier League (IPL) title in a high-octane summit clash at the Chinnaswamy stadium in Bengaluru on May 29, 2016. It was the ninth edition of IPL.
- SRH scored 208 for 7 in their allotted 20 overs. Ben Cutting of Hyderabad was declared the Man of the Match for his all round performance. He had scored 39 runs and claimed two wickets.
- This was the maiden Indian Premier League title for Sunrisers Hyderabad, while third final lost for RCB in the IPL. Earlier, it lost in finals of 2009 and 2011 editions.
Italian Open 2016
- Andy Murray (Britain) has won the Italian Open 2016 title of Tennis in the men’s singles category on May 15, 2016. It was Murray’s first Italian Open title. Andy Murray is second British male tennis player to win Italian Open title after George Patrick Hughes who had won it in 1931. The Italian Open is an annual tennis tournament held ip Rome, Italy. The championship was first held in 1930.
- It is also known as the Rome Masters and the Italian Championships. Rafael Nadal has won the title a record seven times.
Madrid Open 2016
- On May 9, 2016 tennis player Novak Djokovic (Serbia) won the Mutua Madrid Open 2016 title in men’s, singles category by defeating Andy Murray from Great Britain in the final match palyed in Madrid (Spain).
- After this victory, Djokovic moves ahead of Spain’s Rafael Nadal with a record 29 ATP Masters 1000 titles. It was also Djokovic’s fifth win in the last 6 ATP 1000 competitions.
- Netherlands Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands)/Horia Tecau (Romania) won in men’s doubles, Romania Simona Halep won in women’s singles and France Caroline Garcia/France Kristina Mladenovic won in women’s doubles.
UEFA Champions League 2016
- Real Madrid were crowned kings of European dub football for a record 11th time on May 29, 2016 by defeating dty rivals Atletico Madrid on penalties in the 2016 Champions League final, staged at Milan’s San Siro stadium.
- It was Real’s second success in the competition in the past three seasons, with both finals being won against Atletico.
- Cristiano Ronaldo scored the winning penalty in a 5-3 shootout victory against Atletico Madrid. Atletico earlier lost in their two previous finals appearances.
- The UEFA Champions League is an annual continental club football competition organised by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs.
- It is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in European football.
14th Federation Cup
- Mohun Bagan FC won by a record 5-0 margin and regain the Federation Cup football title after eight years, at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati on May 21, 2016.
- The last time Bagan had won the title was in 2008, when it beat Dempo 1-0 at home. Recently, Mohun Bagan claimed their first ever I-League title (in addition to their previous 3 National Football League titles). Mohun Bagan became the first Indian club.
Monaco Grand Prix 2016
- Lewis Hamilton, a British Formula One racing driver, races for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team won the 2016 Monaco F1 Grand Prix on May 29, 2016.
- He achieved this height in a close battle with Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo.
- It is Hamilton’s first win this year cut his deficit to Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg, who finished seventh, to 24 points. In 2015, he became the first British driver in history to win consecutive FI titles.
- The Formula One motor race was held at the Circuit de Monaco, a street circuit that runs through the Principality of Monaco. It was the sixth round of the 2016 season. It is the only Grand Prix that does not adhere to the FIA’s mandated 305 km minimum race distance.
Spanish Grand Prix 2016
- Max Verstappen became the youngest winner of a Formula One race when he won in Spanish Grand Prix on May 15, 2016.
- Verstappen made his FI debut for Toro Rosso as a 17-year-old last year.
- He crossed the winning line aged 18 years and 228 days, beating Sebastian VetteTs previous record by two and a half years—Vettel was 21 and 73 days when he won in Italy in 2008.
Asian 6-Red Snooker Title
- Pankaj Advani, won the Asian 6-Red snooker title in Abu Dhabi on May 23, 2016. Advani thus became the first in the world to hold both world and continental titles in 6-Red snooker at the same time.
- The government of India bestowed several awards upon Advani—Arjuna Award (2004), Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna (2006) and Padma Shri (2009).