Sports Current Affairs January 2017
Davis Cup 2016
- Argentina won its first Davis Cup title by defeating Croatia 3-2 in Zagreb on November 27, 2016.
- The Davis Cup is the premier international team event in men’s tennis. It is run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and is contested annually between teams from competing countries in a knock-out format.
- It is described by the organisers as the ‘World Cup of Tennis’, and the winners are referred to as the World Champion team.
- The competition began in 1900 as a challenge between Great Britain and the USA. By 2016, 135 nations entered teams into the competition.
Read Also – India and World Current Affairs
ATP World Tour Finals 2016
- Britain’s Andy Murray beat five-time champion Novak Djokovic to win his first ATP World Tour Finals title and end 2016 as the world number one on November 22, 2016.
- He is a Scottish professional tennis player currently ranked world No.l in men’s singles. Murray represents Great Britain in his sporting activities and is a three-time Grand Slam tournament winner, two-time Olympic champion, Davis Cup champion and the winner of the 2016 ATP World Tour Finals.
- He was first ranked as British No. 1 on February 27, 2006, and then achieved a top-10 ranking by the ATP for the first time on April 16, 2007. Following his run to the final of the 2016 Paris Masters, Murray became world No.l on November 7, 2016.
Paris Masters 2016
- World No. 1 Andy Murray defeating John Isner for men’s single tjtle at the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris on November 7, 2016. He claimed his eighth tour-level crown of the year and 43rd in total. He notdhed a 14th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title and joins Tim Henman (2003) and Greg Rusedski (1998) as British winners in Paris.
33rd Suijit Trophy 2016
- Mumbai’s Western Railways women’s team grabbed , the title in the 33rd Indian Oil Servo Suijit Hockey Tournament by defeating Haryana XI 4-2 in the title clash played at the Olympian Surjit Hockey Stadium in Jalandhar on November 10, 2016.
- The winners were presented a cash award of 7 1 lakh and trophy and runners-up got 7 75000 and Trophy. Jaspreet Kaur of Haryana XI was declared the Best Player of the Tournament. North Central Railways Allahabad get Fair play trophy. Suijit Hockey Society came into existence in 1984. It was instituted to keep the name of Sardar Suijit Singh Randhawa alive, who lost his life in a fatal car’ accident near Jalandhar on January 7, 1984.
Asian Women’s Champions trophy 2016
- Indian Women’s hockey team on November 5, 2016 lifted the Asian Champions Trophy 2016 in Singapore. In the summit clash, India defeated China 2-1. This is for the 1 first time that Indian eves won the Asian Champions Trophy competition.
- Top five women’s teams of Asia took part in this tournament. This was also the qualifying round for the 2017 Asia Cup. Earlier on October 30, 2016, the Indian I men’s team also conquered the Asian Champions Trophy. In the finals, the Indian team defeated its arch rival Pakistan 3-2.
Pages 1 2