Person Appointments Current Affairs July 2015 Part-2
- Radar specialist Selvin Christopher has been appointed as the Chief of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on May 28, 2015 by the Union government.
- Christopher who heads the Bengaluru-based Centre for Airborne Systems and the project to develop airborne early warning and control systems will be the Secretary, Department of Defence Research and Development as well as Director General of the DRDO.
- New South Wales coach Trevor Bayliss has been appointed on May 25, 2015 as the first Australian to coach England team.
- He succeeded Peter Moores, whose second spell ended in a sacking in early May, 2015.
- Bayliss led Sri Lankan team from 2007 to 2011.
- He took temporary charge of Australia for their Twenty20 series in South Africa jn 2014 and also has coached Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League.
- Sunil D’Souza, former PepsiCo, executive, appointed as Managing Director (MD) of Whirlpool India, the home appliances maker on May 25, 2015. He will join on June 22, 2015.
- He has been with PepsiCo, for 15 years, holding various senior management positions in Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam and India.
G. Mohan Kumar
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet appointed G. Mohan Kumar, a 1979-batch Odisha cadre IAS officer, as the new Defence Secretary with a fixed two-year tenure on May 22, 2015.
- He replaced RK Mathur who retired on May 24, 2015.
- Since September, 2014, As Secretary of defence roduction, Kumar was intensely involved in the Modi government’s ‘Make in India’ policy with defence being designated a high-priority sector in the endeavour
- AIADMK supremo J. Jayalalithaa, sworn-in for the fifth time as Tamil Nadu Chief Minister on May 23, 2015.
- Along with her, 28 others were sworn-in as Ministers. Jayalalithaa will hold the portfolios of home, police, public, all India services, general administration and district revenue officers.
- Earlier, eight rtionths before she was forced to quit over corruption charges.
- She was re-elected as legislature party leader on May 22, 2015 at a meeting of party MLAs at its headquarter, 11 days after she was acquitted by the Karnataka High Court in a disproportionate assets case.
Parvinder Singh Batth
- Parvinder Singh Batth, Indian-origin conservative party councillor, was chosen as the Mayor of Britain’s Wokingham Borough Council on May 22, 2015. He was the first Sikh to hold the Mayor’s position in the UK.
- He succeeded Councillor UllaKarin Clark. He will serve for the post till 2016. He was born in Punjab to a farmer’s family. He then had migrated to United Kingdom. There he had served as Deputy Mayor of Borough of Wokingham in Berkshire in South-East England.
- US President Barack Obama, has named Akhil Amar, an Indian- American professor from Yale University, as a member of the prestigious National Council on Humanities on May 20, 2015.
- He received a BA from Yale College and a JD from Yale Law School. Presently, he is Sterling Professor of Law and Political Science at the Yale University.
- He was also elected as a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 2007 and was named a Senior Scholar by the National Constitution Center in 2000.
- SS Ahluwalia, former Union Minister and BJP Lok Sabha member from Darjeeling in West Bengal, was appointed as the chairman of a Joint Committee of Parliament on May 18, 2015. The committee will go into the provisions of the controversial Land Acquisition Bill.
- The 30-member Joint Committee of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha would submit its report on the first day of Monsoon Session on the bill which has already been passed by the Lower House.
- Director General of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) MJ Joseph, has been appointed as the Controller General of Accounts (CGA) in the Ministry of Finance on May 15, 2015.
- He succeeded Jawahar Thakur, who has been appointed as Officer in Special Duty (OSD) Accounting Reforms in the office of CGA.
- Joseph is a 1979-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) officer.
- He has served in various administrative capacities in the government of India.
- Harbhajan Kaur Dheer, an Indian-origin councillor woman, has became the first Asian woman elected Mayor of Ealing Council in West London on May 12, 2015. She succeeded councillor Tej Ram Bagha.
- She was born at Punjab in 1953 and went to Britain in 1975. She studied Social Sciences at Kingston University and obtained a degree in 1995. She worked as an Approved Mental Health Professional in Surrey County Council until 2003.
- Deepak Iyer has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and Managing Director (MD) of Bharti AXA General Insurance on May 12, 2015.
- He is currently working as the Managing Director-Indian subcontinent at Wrigley India, a subsidiary of US-based Mars.