International Current Affairs April 2017
Russia and China Veto UN Resolution on Syria Sanctions
- Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution backed by Western powers that would have imposed sanctions on Syria over the alleged use of chemical weapons by the government of President Bashar al-Assad on February 28, 2017.
- It Drafted by Britain, France and the USA, the measure on Tuesday won nine votes in favour, while three countries (China, Russia and Bolivia) opposed it. Kazakhstan, Ethiopia and Egypt abstained.
- The resolution would have put 11 Syrians, mainly military commanders, and 10 entities linked to chemical attacks in 2014 and 2015 on a UN sanctions blacklist.
Read More – UPSC Question Papers
Venezuela and Libya again Lose UN Vote Rights over Dues Debts
- Venezuela and Libya suspended from voting in the UN General Assembly for the second time in two years because of millions of dollars in unpaid dues to the world body on February 24, 2017.
- Venezuela’s two-year term on the Council has since ended. Facing a $ 3 million minimum payment at the time, the nation quickly settled-up, with its Ambassador saying the delay was an administrative issue and not a reflection of the country’s economic problems.
- Venezuela’s oil-dependent economy has spiraled into crisis since world oil prices began a plunge in 2014. Venezuelans are grappling with triple-digit inflation and widespread food shortages.
China Released Theme and Details of 2017 BRICS Summit
- China released the theme and topics of discussion for the 2017 BRICS Summit, which will be held in September 2017 in Xiamen, in the Fujian Province of East China on February 9, 2017.
- The theme of the meet this year is ‘BRICS : Stronger Partnership for a Brighter Future’. The strengthening of BRICS strategic partnership was highlighted both in the 2015 Ufa Declaration and the 2016 Goa Declaration.
USA Imposed New Sanctions on Iran over Missile Test
- US President Donald Trump slapped fresh sanctions on Iran’s weapons procurement network on February 3, 2017. New measures were in response to Iran’s recent ballistic missile test and its support, for the Huthi rebels in Yemen, who recently targeted a Saudi warship.
- The USA has already protested about Iran’s missile test at the United Nations, arguing it was ‘inconsistent’ with UN Security Council Resolution 2231.
Visit Current-Affairs.org for latest current affairs, previous year question papers, free online quiz for SSC and others, Study material and lot more. If you need any question paper or online quiz, drop your comment below.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.