Union Government Cleared Proposal to Redevelop 400 Railway Stations
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, gave its approval for redevelopment of about 400 railways stations in metros and major cities besides pilgrim centers and tourist spots on July 16, 2015 on ‘as is where is’ basis.
- Under this ‘as is where is’ model, interested parties coming through open bids would develop the stations with their designs and business ideas while commercial development of real estate would be allowed by the Zonal Railways.
- These stations are to be developed by leveraging real estate development of land and air space in and around the stations.
To Classify Caste Census Data, Panel Constituted
- Arvind Panagariya, Vice-Chairman of official policy think tank NITI Aayog, will head an expert group for classifying the caste and tribe data in the Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011. The formation of the group is approved by the Union cabinet on July 16, 2015.
- The field survey on economic data and socio economic data relating to rural areas released in July, 2015 showed the enumeration of the country’s population has thrown up about 46 lakh castes, sub-caste, surnames, clan and gothra names, which has to be now classified by the newly formed expert group.
- The government had decided to collect data on caste through the SECC after the cabinet approval on May 19, 2011. It was the first such exercise since 1932 and is expected to be an important polio guide for social intervention in the future.
Digital India Vision ‘eMudhra’ Launched ‘eSign Services’
- eMudhra Limited, a leading certifying firm in the country for digital signatures launched eSign services on July 8, 2015, which is an online electronic signature service which can facilitate an Aadhaar holder to digitally sign a document within seconds.
- The signatures generated by eSign are legally valid and secure under the Information Technology Act, 2000. As part of the Digital India Vision, Prime Minister Modi launched eSign services in the country on July 1, 2015.
- eSign can ‘Revolutionise’ the way business and governance is conducted in the country and pave the way for a digital transformation into a paperless environment.
- The firm which claims to be the first to start eSign services has also launched eMlocker i.e., eMudhra’s Digital Locker
19 Institution get Heritage Status
- Pune’s Fergusson College lifts been accorded the special heritage status by the University Grants Commission (UGC) on July 7, 2015. With the status financial assistance will come for its upkeep. With this the college became one of the 19 institutions in the country to get the heritage status.
- The college founded in 1885 and named after James Fergusson, the then Governor of Bombay Presidency, with buildings of Gothic architecture on its leafy, 65-acre campus, has long been regarded as a landmark educational institution in Maharashtra.
- The college had been moulded by Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Gopal Krishna Gokhale, Gopal Ganesh Agarkar, RG Bhandarkar and MG Ranade. The alumni include two Prime Ministers, theatre and film artists and writers.
Nationwide Mobile Number Portability Started
- The countrywide Mobile Number Portability (MNP) became operational from July 3, 2015 in India. The MNP will allow subscribers to keep their existing mobile phone numbers while shifting between states and circles.
- Till July 3, 2015 users can change their operator while retaining the same number only in the same State or telecom circle.
- In order to avail the new facility, the subscribers will have to visit a store of their telecom operator or call the customer care number concerned.
- Earlier, the deadline to roll out full MNP was May 2, 2015. But it was delayed by two months after the Cellular Operators Association of India asked for an extension from the Telecom department.
App to know Gram Panchayats Assets Launched
- Chaudhary Birender Singh, Union Rural Development Minister launched an online mobile application m-asset for better planning of Panchayat assets and the official Twitter handle @MoPRInida of the Ministry of Panchayati Raj on July 2, 2015.
- The initiatives and programmes as well as important development of the ministry will be communicated through the Twitter handle. The mobile app can be used by citizens to capture photographs and geographical coordinates of various assets available at Gram Panchayat level.
- The mobile app will enable these assets to be seen on a map and will be useful for planning by the Panchayats and the government.
We hope you like National Current Affairs August 2015 Part 4 2015, give your feedback in comments.