IIT-Bombay and Nehru Science Centre to bring Internet to Rural Schools
- IIT-Bombay launched a pilot project Internet for All in its Mobile Science Exhibition Bus in Mumbai in collaboration with the Nehru Science Centre on July 14, 2015.
- 20 theme based exhibition models which are mounted on specially designed Buses are found in the exhibition.
- The initiative was launched under the aegis of the Union government’s flagship ‘Digital India’ campaign and as part of ‘Techfest’, the annual science and technology festival of IIT-Bombay which is scheduled to be held in December, 2015.
- The aim of the project is to literally take internet to the doorsteps of students studying in remote parts of the State.
Delhi got Transit Oriented Development Plan
- The Union government approved the Transit Oriented Development (TOD) policy for Delhi on July 14, 2015 for handling the issues of pollution, congestion and lack of housing for the poor and middle classes.
- The Ministry also almost doubled the floor area ratio for constructions around mass rapid transit systems like the Metro, albeit with some riders. A significantly higher Floor Area Ratio (FAR) of 400% from the earlier up to 250% will now allow more floors in a building that is required to address lack of land availability.
Uttarakhand got Earthquake Early Warning System
- A system to detect earthquakes and disseminate warnings has been installed in Uttarakhand, for the first time in India on July 9, 2015. With this system researchers have predicted an earthquake of magnitude 8 or greater.
- Sensors that warn of earthquakes are based on the detection of P and S waves generated during an earthquake. The P wave, which is harmless and travels faster than the S wave, is detected by the sensors for advance warning.
- The system will issue warnings 1 to 40 seconds before earthquakes of magnitude 5 occur. The first system has been installed in Dehradun, and the second will be established at Pithoragarh in the Kurnaon region by July 11, 2015.
Union Home Ministry Declared Whole of Nagaland as ‘Disturbed Area’
- The Union Home Ministry has declared on July,8, 2015 that the whole of Nagaland as a ‘disturbed area’ for a further period of one year from June 30, 2015. Its notification in this regard states that the use of armed forces in aid of civil power is ‘necessary’.
- Under Section-3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act. 1958. armed forces will get the power to search, raid and area without a warrant. Also, it would allow use of font by the Army personnel even to the extent of causing death, against one who puts law and order in a ‘disturbed area’.
ICRISAT Inked an MoU with Telengana to Promote IT-based Information for Farmers
- The Telangana government and the city-based International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics joined hands. In this regard, a tripartite MoU was signed on July 7, 2015 as part of the Digital Telangana Week.
- This joint venture will implement Information and Communication Technology-based knowledge sharing platforms and other agricultural innovation initiatives to improve productivity and profitability of small-holder farmers.
- The outcome of the collaboration will be to enable the government create new economic opportunities for rural populations through digital agriculture and enable consumers to create direct linkages to farmers.
Microsoft to Develop Digital Villages, Cyber-security Centre, ‘Smart MIDC’ in Maharashtra
- Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra visited Microsoft’s office and its Cyber-crime Centre in Seattle on July 4, 2015.
- Fadnavis discussed with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella about cloud services, technological help for MSMEs and technological solutions for implementing Right to Service Act. Software major Microsoft has agreed to support ‘digital villages’ in Maharashtra and develop a ‘smart MIDC’ apart from setting-up a cyber-security centre in Pune in that meeting.
We hope you like State Current Affairs August 2015 Part 2 2015, give your feedback in comments.
Hey, I am Mansi Agarwal – owner of this site. I am basically from Lucknow. I did B.Tech and now working as a full time blogger. Blogging is my passion and my permanent job also. If you have any suggestion for the improvement of this site then feel free to tell me. You can connect with me on FB and Twitter for more updates.