Cycling Current Affairs
102nd Tour de France 2015
- Chris Froome (Britain), the cyclist from Team Sky won 102nd Tour de France on July 26,2015 by leaving behind Nairo Quintana Rojas, (Colombia). With this victory, Froome became the first Briton to win the Tour de France for the second time.
- The third-place was secured by Alejandro Valverde, cyclist from Spain, whereas the fourth-place by Vincenzo Nibali (Kazakhstan) of Astana Pro Team and the fifth-place by Alberto Contador (Spain) of Tinkoff-Saxo Team.
- The Team Sky now has three victories in its pocket. The first victory was marked by former Team Sky leader Bradley Wiggins claiming the 2012 edition, followed the two victories of Froome in 2013 and 2015.
Sports Personalities Current Affairs
- Former South Africa cricket captain Clive Rice, passed away on July 28, 2015 at the age of 66 years. He represented Nottinghamshire, TransvaaL Natal and Scotland with distinction in his career.
- He played 482 matches, scored over 26331 runs including a highest score of 246. He was a fast medium bowler, claimed 930 wickets at an average of 22.49. In 1981, he was named as the “Wisden Cricketer of the Year”.
- Clive was hugely regarded as a best player, but later as a coach and mentor where he inspired the lives of Lance Klusener, Shaun Pollock and Jonty Rhodes.
- France’s tennis legend Amelie Mauresmo, was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame on July 18, 2015. Along with her six time Paralympic medalist David Hall of Australia was also induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
- Her professional tennis career spanned more than fifteen years and had officially retired from in December, 2009. She won the Australian Open and Wimbledon in 2006 and spent 39 weeks at No. 1 in the WTA rankings.
- She won 25 singles titles and was a silver medalist at the 2004 Athens Olympics. She had won a Silver Medal- at the 2004 Summer Olympics. Now, she is coaching Andy Murray since June, 2014.
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
- The World Boxing Organisation (WBO) said on July 6, 2015 that Floyd Mayweather Jr. who has won the welterweight world title after beating Filipino Manny Pacquiao on May 2, 2015 has been stripped of that title due to the failure of complying with the rules.
- It is against rules for boxers to hold world titles in multiple weight classes and that Mayweather had to indicate, which weight division he would retain. Mayweather missed a deadline by which he had to pay a $ 200000 sanctioning fee from the fight and vacate the junior middleweight title he also held.
We hope you like Sports Current Affairs August 2015 Part 3, give your feedback in comments and keep visiting current affairs.