Mixed Sports Current Affairs
Sekhon Won Two Golds in Special Olympics World Games
- Master Prabhroop Sekhon, a fourteen year old boy from India clinched two gold medals in 300 m and 500 m Roller Skating in the Special Olympics World Summer Games being held at Los Angeles (USA).
- Sekhon is the son of a serving Air Force Officer, Gp Capt BS Sekhon. Jfl He is a student of ASHA School in Lucknow Cantt. where he was coached and selected for various camps at State and National level as one amongst the 241 participants representing India.
- Special Olympics World Summer Games, founded in 1968, are an international sporting competition organised by Special Olympics for athletes with intellectual disabilities. It is founded Eunice Kennedy Shriver to celebrate the talents, perseverance and achievements of people with intellectual disabilities.
Working Group Constituted for Re-drafting of the Sports Code
- The Ministry of Sports constituted a nine-member Working Group on July 28, 2015 which will prepare.a revised draft of the National Sports Development Code (NSDCI) and submit its recommendations within three months.
- The Working Group will be headed by Delhi High Court Judge CK Mahajan (Retd.) and has former hockey skipper Ajitpal Singh and former national TT champion Indu Puri as its prominent members.
- The Sports Code came into force in 2011 but Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and several other National Sports Federations (NSFs) refused to follow Age and Tenure Guidelines. The working group will make recommendations on preparation of Electoral College and streamlining of State/District bodies.
36 Accused Discharged in IPL-6 Spot Fixing
- All the 36 accused persons were discharged in the IPL-6 spot fixing case by Patiala House Courts in New Delhi on July 25, 2015. Among 36 players, Sreesanth, Ajit Chandila and Ankeet Chavan were on bail, now acquitted by the court for lack of evidence against them.
- Delhi Police filed a chargesheet on July 30, 2013, alleging that underworld don Dawood Ibrahim and his aide Chhota Shakeel were behind the IPL spot-fixing scandal and arrested S. Sreesanth, Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila.
- Dawood and Shakeel are on the run and have been declared proclaimed offenders in the case after police completed proceedings of their property attachment, six persons including Dawood Ibrahim and his aide Chhota Shakeel were declared proclaimed offenders by court.
‘All India Council of Sports’ Constituted
- Union government has constituted All India Council of Sports (AICS) on July 24, 2015, to advise on matters relating to the development and promotion of sports in India. Whatever advice this Council will render, government duly consider but it is not binding and obligatory.
- The council will be headed by a President in the rank of Minister of State (MoS) and includes 4 Members of Parliament (MPs), coaches, experts, sports personalities, administrators and Director General (DG) of Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- Union government will appoint the President and members, other than ex-officio members. The council will meet from time to time i.e., at least once in a quarter of year to deliberate on matters related sports and games in the country.
Read Also – Economy & Banking Current Affairs July 2015 Month.
BCCI Formed Working Group to Study Lodha Committee Order
- The BCCI decided to constitute a working group to study the Justice RM Lodha committee order and give recommendations within six weeks. The decision to form the group was taken at the crucial IPL Governing Council on July 19, 2015.
- The working group will consist of four members. They are IPL Chairman Rajiv Shukla, BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur, BCCI treasurer Anirudh Choudhury and former India Cricket team captain Sourav Ganguly.
- The Justice RM Lodha committee ruled the suspension IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Rajasthan Royals (RR) for two years on the verdict of 2013 IPL Betting Scandal on July 14, 2015.
Champions League T20 Scrapped
- The Champions League T20 tournament has been scrapped on July 15, 2015 with immediate effect, so the 2015 CLT20 scheduled for September and October will not go ahead as planned.
- In this regard, the Governing Council of the CLT20 comprising representatives of the Board of Control Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket South Africa (CS and Cricket Australia (CA) made the decision unanimously.
- CLT20 an annual international Twenty-20 cricket competition, established in 2009, played between major domestic teams from cricketing nations.
CSK and RR Franchises Suspended from IPL
- Supreme Court appointed Justice RM Lodha Committee suspended IPL cricket franchisees India Cements Limited (ICL) and Jaipur IPL Private (JIPL) from the Indian Premier League for two years.
- The committee further suspended Chennai Super Kings official Gurunath Meiyappan and former Rajasthan Royals part-owner Raj Kundra for a maximum 5 years from taking part in any cricket activities.
We hope you like Sports Current Affairs August 2015 Part 4, give your feedback in comments and keep visiting current affairs.