Kochi got India’s First Harbour Defence System
- The Integrated Underwater Harbour Defence and Surveillance System (IUHDSS), was commissioned at Kochi by Vice-Admiral Sunil Lanba, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command, on July 31, 2015.
- The system, comprising a cluster of coastal surveillance radars, high-power underwater sensors and diver detection sonars. It was designed by Israeli Aerospace Industries (IAI) ELTA. Besides Kochi, naval harbours at Mumbai, Visakhapatnam and Port Blair are slated to be equipped with the system as a force protection measure.
- In this way, the naval harbour at Kochi has become the first in the country to get a top-notch defence system that will enable operators to foresee, and respond to, surface and sub-surface threats to vital assets along the harbour and warships in the quay.
Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway to be Built by 2019
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced on July 31, 2015. that his government will build an 800-km-long expressway connecting Mumbai with Nagpur by September, 2019. The new expressway will connect four major cities of Maharashtra i.e., Mumbai, Nashik, Aurangabad, and Nagpur.
- The Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) will build the expressway in coordination with the State and the Centre. Sources said this will be done through the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model. It will be 2nd expressway in the State after Mumbai-Pune expressway.
- The road trip between Mumbai and Nagpur will soon take just 10 hours i.e., nearly half the time it currently takes to complete the journey. The Maharashtra government plans to develop Information Technology (IT) parks, smart cities and education complexes along this expressway.
Delhi Government Notified Witness Protection Policy
- Delhi government notified a policy known as Delhi Witness Protection Scheme, 2015 on July 30, 2015 regarding protection of witnesses with provisions for a protection fund and processing of such requests by competent authority that will ensure protection of witnesses in ‘crucial’ cases.
- In this regard, Delhi Home Department constituted a Sub-Committee comprising of officers of Law Department (Home department), Directorate of Prosecution and Delhi Police. Subsequently, DSLSA (Delhi State Legal Services Authority) was included in the process of formulating of the scheme.
- Delhi High court in 2013 had directed Delhi government to frame a witness protection policy to provide guidelines and principles which the police, prosecution and executive agencies will have to follow protection of witnesses.
Maharashtra Cabinet Approved Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme
- Maharashtra Cabinet approved Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Jan Van Vikas Scheme on July 24, 2015. The scheme aimed at comprehensive development of villages in the buffer zones of tiger reserves and around them.
- The scheme had been proposed by Forest Minister Sudhir Mungantivvar, who also holds finance portfolio, in the State’s annual budget 2015-16. The scheme will be launched on project basis from 2015-16 to 2019-2020.
- The scheme aimed at reducing the dependence of villagers on the forest: The scheme will seek to boost the supplementary businesses to farming activities and create alternative employment possibilities in these areas.
Ottappalam will have India’s First Defense Industrial Park
- Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion of India (DIPP) has approved a proposal from the Kerala Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (Kinfra) on July 16, 2015 to set up the country’s first defence industrial park at Ottappaiair.
- This park will be established as part of the in India. Make in Kerala project. It will hase modem common infrastructure facilities that will attract component manufacturers in the defence industry The Union government has also agreed to bring it under the Modified Industrial Infrastructure upgradation Scheme.
- The park would be established soon as the corporation gets 60 acres of land for the purpose. The total expenditure for the defense park is estimated at Rs 231.25 crore. Kinfra will invest Rs 181.35 crore, while the rest of the amount is being expected as grant from the centre.
We hope you like State Current Affairs August 2015 Part 1, give your feedback in comments.