- Union Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonow bestowed the Arjuna Awar to R. Ashwin on July 31,2015.
- Dressed in the traditional maroon- coloured blazer designed for Arjuna awardees, Ashwin received the award includes a bron-statuette, a citation and Rs 5 lakh.
- Ashwin was the 48th cricketer to receive the prestigious award. He emerged as a dependable bowler in all formats of the game, capturing 124 wickets apart from scoring 1009 runs, including two hundreds in 25 Tests, 139 scalps in 99 ODIs an 25 in 26 T20 Internationals.
Ramon Magsaysay Award 2015
- The Board of Trustees of Ramon Magsaysay Award Foundation (RMAF) announced five awardees Asia’s coveted and often regarded as the re equivalent of the Nobel Prize, Ramon Magsaysay A 2015 on July 29, 2015.
- They are Sanjeev Chaturvedi, whistleblower IFS officer and human rights activist Anshu Gupta from India, Kommaly Chanthavong, from Laos, Ligaya Fernando Amilbangsa from Philippines and Kyaw Thu from Myanmar.
- Magsaysay Award winner will each receive a certificate, a medallion bearing the likeness of late President, and a cash prize to be conferred upon them during a formal Presentation Ceremony to be held on August 31,2015 at the Cultural Center of the Philippines.
India’s Top PSUs Awards 2015
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), a Navratna Defence PSU has been awarded as the top Indian company on July 23, 2015 in the electrical and electronic equipment sector in the Dun and Bradstreet ‘India’s Top PSUs Awards 2015’.
- BEL has been providing critical communication, night vision, electronic warfare and radar systems to the Indian defence services ever since its inception post Independence in 1954.
- Now, BEL designs and manufactures over 350 products and systems in the area of professional electronics, serving both defence and non-defence sectors.
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize
- Dr. Helena Ndume (Namibia) and HE Jorge Fernando Branco Sampaio (Portugal) have been awarded with the inaugural Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize as part of the annual commemoration of Nelson Mandela International Day which is observed on July 18, 2015.
- Dr. Helena Ndume is an ophthalmologist devoted her life in the treatment of blindness and eye-related illnesses, both in Namibia and throughout the developing world. Jorge awarded for his contribution and struggle for the restoration of democracy in Portugal.
- Established in June, 2014 by the UN General Assembly (UNGA), Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela Prize is an honorary award presented once in every five years as a tribute to the outstanding achievements and contributions of two individuals i.e., one female and one male.
36th American Book Awards
- Carlos Santana, Marlon James and Naomi Klein are among the winners of the 36th annual American Book Awards Which was cited on July 20, 2015.
- Poet Anne Waldman, whose books include The lovis Trilogy, was honoured for lifetime achievement.
- Santana and co-authors Ashley Kahn and Hal Miller awarded for the memoir The Universal Tone. James won the award for his novel, A Brief History of Seven Killings and Klein won for the environmental work This Changes Everything- Capitalism vs. The Climate.
Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur
- Sayed Haider Raza, a modern Indian artist has been conferred with the highest French civilian honour, the ‘Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur’ for his peerless achievements transcending all boundaries, the lasting ties he has forged between France and India, and his continuing artistic quest straddling nations, cultures, religions and philosophies.
- The award was bestowed by Ambassador Francois Richier at the French Embassy in New Delhi on July 14. 2015 on the occasion of French National Day.
- The ‘Commandeur de la Legion d’Honneur was created in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte, given for outstanding service to France, regardless of recipients’ nationality.
Golden Peacock Award
- Krishnapatnam Port in Andhra Pradesh has received the Golden Peacock Environment Management Award on July 11, 2015 for its initiatives and achievements in the field of environment at the 17th World Congress on Environment Management held in New Delhi.
- The port has adopted Environment Health and Security program that encourages continuous improvement in environment protection and includes waste management, pollution control, resource conservation, use of renewable resources etc.
We hope you like Current Affairs August 2015 Smart Practice Part 6, give your feedback in comments and keep visiting current affairs.