India & World Current Affairs
India and the USA Signed MoU for Setting-up LIGO Observatory
- India and the USA have signed an MoU for establishing Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in India on March 31, 2016 that will play significant role in carrying forward frontline research on various aspects of gravitational wave astronomy.
- Department of Atomic Energy Secretary Sekhar Basu and the US’ National Science Foundation (NSF) France Cordova signed the MoU in this regard in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and LIGO scientists in Washington.
- The MoU comes about a month after the Union Cabinet approved the construction of the long-awaited third LIGO interferometer, expected to be functional by 2023, will significantly improve the ability of scientists to pinpoint the sources of gravitational waves and analyse the signals.
First Direct Box Vessel to Bangladesh Set Sail from Krishnapatnam Port
- The first direct container vessel MV Harbour-1, between I India and Bangladesh carrying cotton set sail from Nellore to Chittagong on March 28, 2016. The vessels of both the countries will be treated as domestic vessels upon entry.This will address traffic congestion at Petrapole in India and Benapole in Bangladesh, the border points.
- Lot of cargo moving from India to Dhaka on toad, which takes up to 30 days, could also come via sea route now in I view of these advantages. Bangladesh mainly imports raw cotton, cotton, steel, tyres and minerals, among others, j which are valued at $ 6 billion per annum. It exports goods worth half a billion US dollars which include textile yam, fish, mineral, fuels, cement, bran and husk.
- The vessel owned by Neepa Paribahan of Bangladesh was I formally flagged-off as part oflfcoastal shipping agreement / signed by India and Bangladesh during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Bangladesh in June, 2015.