Defence & Security Current Affairs
Sonar Dome by Goan Company Flagged-off
- Defence Minister, Manohar Parrikar, flagged-off a huge bow mounted sonar dome for naval warships on March 30, 2016. This is the first indigenously built sonar dome at Kineco’s state-of-the-art composites manufacturing facility at Pileme (Goa).
- The warships have a sonar array fitted to the ship’s structure below the waterline. The sonar functions as the ship’s underwater eyes and ears. The sonar dome is a structure fitted over the sonar array so that its electronics and sensors are not exposed to surrounding hostile environment. The sonar dome has to be structurally sound as well as acoustically transparent.
- It has been designed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) laboratory, R&D engineers based in Pune and manufactured by Goan company Kineco Limited at the DefExpo 2016 at Naqueri-Quitol.
Tata Motors Bagged Additional Order for High-mobility Vehicles, from Indian Army
- Tata Motors have signed a follow-on contract for the supply of an additional 619 units, of its high-mobility (HMV) 6×6 multi-axle truck, from the Indian Army on March 27, 2016. This is in conjunction, to an earlier order awarded to Tata Motors for 1239 units of its 6×6 High Mobility Vehicles.
- That was the single largest order awarded to an Indian private OEM in land systems by the Indian army, under the Defence Procurement Procedure, Indian Ministry of Defence.
- Being built with a material handling crane, the Tata 6×6 HMV is meant for the loading-unloading and transportation of ammunition pallets, spares and other operational equipment.
- Developed indigenously, it is all-terrain all-wheel drive vehicle, has demonstrated maximum performance in the most demanding conditions and is built on a capable platform for diverse tasks, utilising Tata Motors state-of-the-art systems’ and aggregates.